top of page
  • chriswoods51

MATCH REPORT | Boreham Wood 1-0 Wealdstone

Updated: Jan 12, 2022

Wealdstone were narrowly edged by high flying Boreham Wood on the road yesterday evening, despite a solid performance from the Stones.

A second half goal from Danilo Orsi proved to be the difference between the two sides, as the Wood boosted their title credentials.

Manager Stuart Maynard made four changes to the team that were knocked out of the FA Trophy by Needham Market, the last time Wealdstone played. Leyton Orient loan signing Sam Sargeant made his debut in goal for the Stones, while Nik Tavares and Jaydn Mundle-Smith returned from injury, and Matt Buse was recalled to the starting line-up. Loanee Douglas Taylor from Stoke City was also named to the bench.

The Wood produced the first chance of the game in the 10th minute as Gus Mufata advanced down the right wing into the box and chipped the ball towards goal, but his effort went over the crossbar.

Two minutes later, the home side galvanised another goal scoring opportunity as Orsi cut the ball back to Josh Rees from the by-line, however Sargeant reacted with a brilliant save to preserve the score line.

As the first half progressed, the Stones began to grow into the match, generating a chance in the 20th minute, as a flicked header from a corner was nearly capitalised on.

The Wood were forced into an early change as Mark Ricketts replaced the injured Mustafa.

Three minutes before the stroke of half time, the Stones tested Tay Ashby-Hammond, as top goal scorer Josh Umerah rose highest to head the ball on target, but Boreham Wood’s number one was equal to the effort.

The Stones emerged from the interval brightly, with Craig Fasanmade being played through on goal, but Ashby-Hammond denied the forward with a smart save to thwart his low, driven effort.

As the second half developed, the Wood began to pressurise the Stones and duly broke the deadlock in the 67th minute as a cross from the right wing was flicked on by Scott Boden to an unmarked Danilo, who struck into the top corner.

Maynard responded with a double substitution, introducing Taylor and Medy Elito to freshen Wealdstone’s attacking options.

The Wood nearly doubled their lead in the 78th minute as former Stones star Jacob Mendy powered down the flank and delivered the ball to Orsi, but Sargeant was quick off of his line with a top quality save to deny the goal scorer.

Wealdstone return to action on Saturday 15th January at 3pm when they entertain Dover Athletic at The Vale.

WEALDSTONE: Sargeant, Stevens, Okimo (c), Mundle-Smith, Tavares, Charles, Buse (Taylor 68), Dyer, Mascoll (Jackson 84), Fasanmade (Elito 68), Umerah.

Subs not used: Marigliani, Shrowder.

Attendance: 1,298 (including 171 Stones fans)

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page