top of page
  • Writer's pictureWill Beaman

Report: Resolute Stones claim a point after playing 80 minutes with ten men

Wealdstone dug even deeper than they did on Saturday, playing 80 minutes this time with ten men and showing remarkable levels of stamina to earn a hard-fought point with Yeovil in a goalless draw at The Vale.

Reduced to ten men on Saturday, the Stones found themselves at a numerical disadvantage after just ten minutes of this National League clash here when defender Lewis Kinsella was ushered off the pitch following an altercation with Malachi Linton. Linton could have won it for the visitors, but he blazed a second-half penalty over the bar.

Given all that, manager Stuart Maynard will be delighted with a point and a third straight clean sheet, but he will have wondered what his in-form side would have been capable of had they kept a full quota on the pitch.

Maynard’s men held their own throughout and almost found themselves ahead when a quick breakaway saw Malachi Napa find the in-form Rhys Browne in the centre of the box. He was denied a fifth goal in six games by a last-ditch tackle from Morgan Williams.

Towards the end of the first half, Yeovil began to take advantage of being a man up and saw efforts from Gime Toure and Jamie Reckford go narrowly wide of Sam Howes' goal. With one minute to go in the first half, the Wealdstone keeper spectacularly managed to keep the score level, making a strong save to once again deny Traore from close range.

Yeovil began the second half as they as they finished the first, continuing to pile on the pressure and would have found themselves ahead if it wasn’t for a heroic goal-line clearance from Napa.

Stones feared the worst on 61 minutes when some sloppy defending resulted in a Yeovil penalty, Howes taking down Alex Fisher to give the visitors the opportunity to take the lead. The resulting penalty was blazed over by Linton, giving the Stones a lifeline going into the final 30 minutes.

Wealdstone reacted well, breaking down the other end of the pitch and seeing an effort from Browne blocked once again by the Yeovil backline. The resulting rebound from Nathan Ferguson went close to giving his side the lead but went agonisingly wide of Grant Smith’s goal.

There were some nervous moments at the death, but the boys in blue showed what stern stuff they are made from these days to come with a point that keeps the little run going.

Wealdstone: Howes, Cook (C), Habergham, Kinsella, Charles, Allarakhia (Hutchinson 75), Ferguson, Sesay, Napa, Kretzschmar (Dyer 66), Browne (Mongoy 83). Not used: Young and Mundle-Smith

Attendance: 1,714


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page