top of page
  • Writer's pictureChris Woods

REPORT | Gateshead 2-1 Wealdstone

Updated: Oct 4, 2023

Gateshead mounted a late comeback to grab a 2-1 win over Wealdstone at the Gateshead International Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Wealdstone's travelling faithful of 54 supporters were given a lot to cheer about when Tarryn Allarakhia put them into a 73rd minute lead.

But they were quickly pegged back three minutes later by Connor McBride, who then doubled his tally and won the game for the hosts with ten minutes to go.

Going into the match Stones boss Stuart Maynard made more changes as he rotates his squad for this busy period of the season, making four changes to the side that started against Oldham Athletic on the weekend.

Allarakhia, Mason Barrett, Sean Adarkwa and Micah Obiero all returned to the starting eleven for the long midweek trip.

The journey looked to have no effect on the part-time outfit who started brightly with early chances from Adarkwa, Obiero and Jaydn Mundle-Smith all going just wide of the goal.

Gateshead grew into the half and Jed Ward was called into action for the first time through Heed captain Greg Olley, tipping his effort past the post.

Ward again provided heroics, twice denying striker Marcus Dinanga's headers and again providing another top stop to palm a swerving effort from Olley over the bar.

The Stones started the second half strongly after surviving the first half onslaught and almost led when Alex Dyer smashed a low free kick through a crowded box, only for Heed keeper Archie Mair to react well to push it away from danger.

And Wealdstone led on 73 minutes when Obiero burst forward to tee up Allarakhia on the edge of the box, who knocked the ball past his man and delivered a low effort into his bottom right corner.

It was almost 2-0 moments later when Kyle Smith's pinpoint cross was only met by the faintest of touches from sub Tahvon Campbell, allowing Mair to smother the ball at his feet.

The hosts then showed the quality that has them in the play-off positions and equalised just seconds after Campbell's effort. Olley squared to McBride on the edge of the area who took a brilliant first touch and then finish, leaving Ward with no chance.

When it seemed like the Stones would have to settle for a point McBride had other ideas and unleashed an unstoppable 30-yard swerving strike past Ward into the top corner to give the hosts the lead.

Wealdstone now head back on the road again this Saturday, travelling to recently promoted Kidderminster Harriers for a 3pm kick off in the West Midlands.

WEALDSTONE: Ward, Barrett, Barker, Mundle-Smith, Smith, Dyer (c), Bowen (Ferguson 87), Clayden, Allarakhia, Obiero (Abdulmalik 87), Adarkwa (Campbell 66).

Subs not used: Cook, Andrews.

Attendance: 896 (including 54 Wealdstone supporters)

Report by Chris Woods


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page