top of page
  • Writer's pictureWill Bewsey

Report: Barnet 2-0 Wealdstone

There was to be no repeat of last season’s scenes at The Hive as Barnet deservedly took the points in the derby to bolster their own play-off hopes.

The Bees scored 11 minutes into the first half and seven minutes into the second to end a three-match losing streak against the Stones. Once trailing by two goals, the away side rallied well and fashioned two excellent chances for Olufela Olomola, but it wasn't to be our day and our four-match unbeaten run came to an end.

Stuart Maynard made just the solitary change following last week’s 3-1 win over Scunthorpe, with Nathan Ferguson given his first league start since October, replacing Alex Dyer who dropped to the bench.

Barnet started the brighter of the two sides, which may have been expected given Wealdstone’s poor first-half record. The Stones have scored just one first-half goal since early September, and the Bees looked the more likely to strike first. After six minutes, Idris Kanu met a beautiful Harry Pritchard cross, but could only head directly into the midriff of Howes.

However, just a few minutes later, Kanu and Pritchard were in again. A driving run from the former was halted, but Dale Gorman spotted the run of Pritchard, and he finished calmly past Howes.

Tarryn Allarakhia sought to make amends immediately, but his slalom past a few Barnet defenders was ended just outside the box by former Wealdstone skipper Jerome Okimo. Lewis Kinsella couldn’t get his effort past the wall, but it was a show of intent from the Stones.

Ben Wynter attempted to unleash his inner Beckham, after Howes was drawn out of his goal following a long ball from the Bees, but his speculative effort from just inside the Barnet half cleared the crossbar.

The rest of the first half resembled a typical derby, with the majority of the game being played in the midfield, and the Stones didn’t threaten Laurie Walker in goal much.

Barnet’s top-scorer Nicke Kabamba hadn’t scored in six games up until this fixture but couldn’t miss the opportunity presented to him by substitute Marvin Armstrong, who rounded Howes before being fouled, but advantage was played and Kabamba slotted into an empty net

The Stones had a golden opportunity to pull a goal back shortly afterwards when Kinsella found width down the left, before an inch perfect ball to the back post was sliced wide by Olufela Olomola with the goal gaping.

Olomola was played through again moments later, but this time Laurie Walker was there to deny his close-range effort.

That was as good as the chances got for the Stones, and they were unable to send the 836 travelling fans home happy. Maynard’s side must now prepare for a tough trip to play-off chasing Bromley next Saturday.

Wealdstone: Howes; Cook, Baker, Freckleton (Habergham 78), Obiero, Kinsella, Charles (Dyer 59), Ferguson, Kretzschmar, Allarakhia, Olomola (Akinola 66). Subs not used: Barrett, McGregor.

Attendance: 2492 (836 away)


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page