top of page
  • Writer's pictureChris Woods

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 2-8 QPR

Updated: Jul 21, 2022

Wealdstone were easily swept aside by local Championship side Queens Park Rangers yesterday evening at The Vale, in front a bustling crowd of 2,505.

A first half hat trick from Lyndon Dykes, along with goals from Sam Field, Ilias Chair, Kenneth Paal, George Thomas and Macauley Bonne completed the rout; while Nathan Ferguson and a Trialist netted consolatory second half strikes for the Stones.

Rangers dominated proceedings from the outset, opening the floodgates after just two minutes when Andre Dozzell neatly exchanged with Dykes, enabling the former to surge into the box and shoot. Wealdstone’s number one Sam Howes could only parry the save, enabling Field to tap home from close range.

Four minutes later, the visitors doubled their lead in style as Chair found Paal on the wing and the fullback drove the ball across the box for Dykes to clinically dispatch past Howes.

Scottish striker Dykes sealed his brace in the 31st minute, meeting Field’s dangerous cross at the far post to superbly head the ball over Howes and in off of the post.

Queens Park Rangers amped up the level, quadrupling their lead in stunning fashion on the 39th minute mark as Moroccan attacking midfielder Chair picked up the ball just inside the Stones’ half, before slaloming past two defenders and coolly slotting past Howes into the bottom corner.

As the half progressed, Rangers continued to run rife, adding a fifth goal two minutes later. Dykes seized possession and surged forward, squaring to Olamide Shodipo, whose low drive was saved and parried by Howes, with Paal heading home from an acute angle to notch his first goal for his club.

Three minutes before the stroke of half time, the visitors extended their lead even further - Shodipo was awarded a penalty after being fouled by a Trialist defender and Dykes duly stepped up to fire home past Howes from 12 yards.

Wholesale changes at half time from Queens Park Rangers saw a completely new starting eleven introduced after the interval.

Rangers started the second half in the same vein as the first, stretching their lead to seven goals within two minutes of the restart. Sinclair Armstrong burst down the right wing and slid the ball across to George Thomas to fire past Howes from six yards.

The Stones began to grow into the match, reducing the deficit when Ferguson prodded the ball home past Joe Walsh, much to the delight of the home fans.

Spurred on by the goal, Wealdstone found rhythm and cohesion to pull back another goal in the 55th minute when the Trialist striker raced through on goal and excellently slotted the ball past Walsh.

However, four minutes later, Rangers added their eighth of the evening as Bonne confidently slid the ball home from the edge of the area past Howes.

In the 82nd minute, substitute Armstrong nearly scored an audacious acrobatic goal as he expertly connected with Albert Adomah’s lofted cross for a bicycle kick at the far post, but Howes responded with a brilliant save to deny the attacker.

In a vastly improved second half performance, the Stones displayed some impressive attacking moments, while nullifying the visitors and conceding no further goals.

Wealdstone return to preseason action on Saturday 23rd July when they travel to The New Eyrie to face Bedford Town, in a 1pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Howes, Trialist A (Trialist B 45) , Cook (c), Habergham, Sesay (Hearn 66), Young (Dyer 54), Ferguson, Napa (Shrowder 66), Kretzschmar (Hutchinson 45), Allarakhia (Quigley 88), Olomola (Trialist C 45).

Subs not used: Negraru, Balogun, Trialist D, O'Connor, Mongoy.

Attendance: 2,505

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page