top of page
  • Nicole Cho-Yee

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 1-2 Gateshead

Updated: Jan 29, 2023

Wealdstone fell to a disappointing defeat at the hands of Gateshead at Grosvenor Vale this afternoon, after the Heed came from behind to snatch all three points.

Stones’ manager Stuart Maynard and his assistant, Matt Saunders, were celebrating their 100th match in charge of the club. Maynard gave Brooklyn Ilunga his first start, while new signing Corie Andrews was named to the bench.

A first half goal from Max Kretzschmar was cancelled out by Danny Elliott, before substitute Adam Campbell notched a late winner for the Tynesiders.

The visitors crafted the first chance of the match within four minutes of play when a fiercely struck shot from Kamil Conteh was parried by Sam Howes into the path of Greg Olley, but the skipper blazed his effort just over the bar from close range.

Gateshead continued their bright start and went close to scoring in the 16th minute when Conteh hit a sweet shot from 25 yards out which narrowly flew over the crossbar.

The Heed’s attacking endeavours persisted and Wealdstone’s Howes needed to be alert again in the 22nd minute when the lively Elliott found space in the box and rifled a shot towards goal, which needed to be tipped clear by the shot-stopper.

A minute later, it was Howes to the rescue again as the Stones’ goalkeeper reacted with a vital save to deny Lewis Knight from a one-on-one situation.

The Stones galvanised their own goal scoring opportunity in the 28th minute as Kretzschmar weaved his way into the box and shot with his effort dragged narrowly wide of the Gateshead goal.

Ten minutes before half-time, Elliott had the ball in the back of the net, with only the assistant referee’s offside flag denied the striker bagging his opener.

Against the run of play, the Stones finally broke the deadlock in the 38th minute when Kretzschmar profited from a goal-mouth scramble, poking the ball home to send his team into the lead.


Gateshead returned from the interval keen to equalise and were close to scoring in the 52nd minute through another melee in the penalty area, however Charlie Barker produced a crucial goal-line clearance to preserve the score line.

The Heed were finally rewarded for their tenacity in the 72nd minute when danger-man Elliott converted from close-range to level for the visitors.

Six minutes later, substitute Aaron Martin rose highest to power a header toward the top corner, but Howes was on hand to thwart the effort with a brilliant save.

Williamson’s substitutions proved to be game-changers as Campbell netted the winner with seven minutes to go, ensuring his side sealed a massive three points towards their fight for survival.

Maynard’s out of form Wealdstone will rue their poor performance as they lost ground from the chasing pack at the top of the table. But, take nothing away from Gateshead’s excellent display on the road.

Wealdstone return to action on Tuesday evening when they travel to Huish Park to face Yeovil Town in a 7.45pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Howes, Barrett, Cook (c), Barker, Habergham, Dyer, Ferguson, Kretzschmar (Charles 69), Ilunga (Hutchinson 79), Allarakhia, Olomola (Andrews 66).

Subs not used: Freckleton, Mundle-Smith.

Attendance: 1,302 (including 72 Gateshead supporters)

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page