top of page
  • chriswoods51

MATCH REPORT | Stones 1-2 Torquay Utd

Updated: Dec 2, 2020

Wealdstone were narrowly edged by National league front runners Torquay United in a tight encounter at The Vale this evening.

A second half brace from Gulls’ substitute Billy Waters cancelled out Danny Parish’s first half strike.

Manager Dean Brennan made four changes to the side that lost to Notts County on Friday evening. Newly signed goalkeeper Stuart Moore from MK Dons made his debut, while Dean Parrett secured his first start; Jack Cawley and Dennon Lewis also returned to the starting line-up for the Stones.

Within the first minute of the match, the visitors nearly took the lead through Ben Whitfield, but his strike flew narrowly over the crossbar.

The Gulls continued to dominate proceedings during the early stages of the match, expressing their attacking intent as they created a number of chances.

In the 18th minute, Torquay’s Connor Lemonheigh-Evans tested Moore, but Wealdstone’s number one produced a solid save to deny the attacker.

The Stones had to wait until the 21st minute for their first effort on goal as Connor Smith picked out Parish, but the striker’s deflected effort was well-claimed by Gulls’ Shaun Macdonald.

Against the run of play, the Stones seized the initiative in the 27th minute as Parish took advantage of a mix up in the Gulls box and calmly fired past Shaun Macdonald to send the home side into the lead.

Torquay looked for a quick equaliser and came close in the 33rd minute as Whitfield drilled an effort from outside the box; however Moore responded with a smart save and tipped the ball around the post.

The first chance of the second half fell to the Gulls as Kyle Cameron rose highest from Lemonheigh-Evans’ corner in the 51st minute, but Moore was equal to his headed effort.

In the 59th minute, the visitors levelled as substitute Waters finished from close range past Moore to square the contest.

Despite conceding, the Stones nearly took the retook the lead in the 77th minute through Dennon Lewis as he cut inside from the left wing and stuck a fierce effort, but Macdonald produced a fine save to thwart the winger.

Top of the league Torquay stole the points at the death as Lemonheigh-Evans drove in a low cross which was converted past Moore by Waters to notch his second goal of the half.

Wealdstone return to action this Saturday 5th December, when they travel to face local rivals Barnet at The Hive, in a 3pm kickoff.

WEALDSTONE: Moore, Efete, Okimo (c), Cawley, Mendy (Dyer 44), Phillips, Smith, Parrett (Wakefield 74), Green, Lewis, Parish (Hughes 65).

Subs not used: Askew, Benyu.

TORQUAY UNITED: MacDonald, Wynter, Sherring, Cameron, Hall (c), Randell (Umerah 46), Nemane, Lemonheigh-Evans, Whitfield, Andrews (Kerr 90), Wright (Waters 46).

Subs not used: Covolan-Cavagnari, Buse.

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page