top of page
  • chriswoods51

MATCH REPORT | Solihull Moors 2-1 Wealdstone

Updated: Feb 23, 2022

Wealdstone fell to a late 2-1 defeat at the hands of 10-man Solihull Moors at the Armco Arena on Tuesday evening.

An early goal from Andrew Dallas put the hosts in front before Jerome Okimo grabbed a deserved equaliser midway through the first half.

Mark Ellis then saw red early in the second half for a professional foul on Josh Umerah, but the Stones failed to capitalise on the man advantage with sub Lois Maynard grabbing the winner in the 81st minute.

Stones boss Stuart Maynard made three changes to the side that suffered a late defeat against Wrexham on Saturday with Rhys Browne, Charles Clayden and Ashley Charles in, in place of the suspended Jack Cook and Medy Elito and Charlie Cooper who both were named on the bench.

It didn't take long in the game for the scoring to be opened albeit in fortuitous circumstances. Moors winger Harry Boyes cut inside and took a shot at goal, only for it to deflect off of teammate Dallas and creep inside George Wickens' far post on six minutes.

But the Stones battled back well into the game and controlled the rest of the half. The equaliser came on 21 minutes when Aaron Henry's corner was flicked in at the near post by Stones skipper Okimo.

Henry then had a chance of his own just before half time. Having an audacious crack at goal from a 30-yard free kick that Ryan Boot had to be on his toes for to tip wide.

In the second half the Stones continued their impressive form. A brilliant through ball by Browne to Umerah saw the Stones top scorer tripped when through on goal by Ellis, leaving referee Scott Simpson no choice but to brandish the red card.

Henry took the resulting free kick but similar to his effort in the 44th minute, Boot was again equal to it to tip wide.

Stones then had a glorious opportunity to go ahead moments later. Umerah managed to find himself free in front of goal from a cross but the ball hit the strikers back and Solihull eventually scrambled it clear.

Even with 10 men the hosts were potent on the break and almost restored their lead when Danny Newton burst forward, but Wickens produced a great stop to tip his effort over.

Ira Jackson had recovered from injury and was introduced in a positive attacking change in place of Charles. He almost scored within minutes of being on the pitch when a wayward kick by Boot was directed back at goal by the sub but the keeper recovered just in time to catch the ball.

Despite the positive performance, the Stones would leave the Midlands empty handed. Failure to clear an 81st minute corner saw the ball whipped back in before eventually falling to Solihull sub Maynard, who eventually squeezed the ball over the line despite Connor McAvoy's best attempts to clear in the goalmouth.

Wealdstone's best threat came in stoppage time when Wickens came up for a corner. He managed to get on the end of the delivery but didn't get enough power behind the strike which Boot managed to hold.

The Stones are next in action this Saturday when Torquay United visit Grosvenor Vale in a 3pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Wickens, McAvoy, Okimo (c), Mundle-Smith, Sesay (Mascoll 82), Charles (Jackson 76), Henry, Ferguson, Clayden, Browne, Umerah (Elito 86).

Subs not used: Dyer, Cooper.

Attendance: 3,219 (with 209 Wealdstone supporters)

Report by Chris Woods


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page