top of page
  • Writer's pictureChris Woods

MATCH REPORT | Grimsby Town 2-1 Wealdstone

Wealdstone fell to a narrow 2-1 defeat to Grimsby Town at Blundell Park. Shaun Pearson and Michee Efete put the hosts into a two-goal lead before Jamie Mascoll pulled a brilliant goal back for the Stones.

Pearson and Efete both netted headers for the Mariners either side of half time and Mascoll put a fantastic 30-yard curling effort into the top corner to pull one back. But the Stones just couldn't find that equaliser.

Stones boss Stuart Maynard made two changes from the midweek draw with Notts County with captain Jerome Okimo back in the side in place of the injured Jack Cook and Stoke City loanee Douglas Taylor leading the line up front in place of Josh Umerah.

The blustery conditions favoured the hosts in the first half and they enjoyed the majority of the chances, threatening mostly from corners. Former Stone Efete was the first to flash a header wide of the goal.

It was then from a corner on 35 minutes that the Mariners lead. The ball was whipped in to Efete, his header came off teammate Pearson's head and past George Wickens in the Stones goal.

John McAtee flashed a shot wide on 44 minutes as Grimsby asserted their dominance over the Stones.

After coming close twice in the first half Efete finally got a goal against his former employers. Aston Villa loanee Arjan Raikhy whipped a free kick in and Efete hammered a header in just two minutes into the second half.

Wealdstone pulled a goal back ten minutes in the half from an unlikely source. A mix-up 30 yards from goal between Max Crocombe and Daniel Amos saw Mascoll nip in and curl a fantastic effort at goal from the touchline.

The game's complexion changed from this with the Stones now stealing the momentum from the former EFL side and introduced the firepower of Umerah as they searched for an equaliser.

But the shrewd Grimsby defence limited the visitors chances and it was actually Erico Sousa who almost scored next, forcing a great stop from Wickens on 88 minutes.

And McAtee almost sealed the win for the hosts in injury time but his effort from 12 yards out flew just over the crossbar.

Stones are back in action a week on Tuesday on 8th February, when Yeovil Town visit The Vale for a 7:45PM Kick Off.

WEALDSTONE: Wickens, McAvoy, Stevens, Okimo (c), Mascoll, Charles, Buse, Cooper (Dyer 67), Mundle-Smith (Sesay 59), Elito, Taylor (Umerah 67).

Subs not used: Fasanmade, Jackson.

Attendance: 4,747 (including 166 Wealdstone supporters)

Report by Chris Woods


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page