top of page
  • chriswoods51

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 2-2 Aldershot Town

Updated: Sep 19, 2021

The spoils were shared Saturday afternoon at The Vale as Wealdstone were pegged back twice by Aldershot Town.

The Shots’ talisman Corie Andrews struck a second half brace to level the match for the away side, after new Stones signing Ira Jackson scored his first goal for the club and Josh Umerah notched his fifth of the season.

After a cagey start to the contest, with Aldershot’s high press thwarting Wealdstone’s usual cohesive passing game, Wealdstone’s first effort came in the 9th minute as Jackson fired a fierce shot from just outside the box, which was well-saved by Shots’ goalkeeper Mitch Walker.

Aldershot crafted their own opportunity five minutes later as Andrews created space and struck on the turn, forcing George Wickens to make solid save.

The Stones responded well, generating a chance of their own in the 23rd minute, as a quick counter attack found Medy Elito, who rifled a shot goal-bound, but Walker was equal to his effort.

The deadlock was eventually broken on the 26th minute mark when the influential Elito slid through Dennon Lewis, who crossed towards the far post for Jackson to pounce and tap home on his first start for the Stones.

As the visitors looked to push for an equaliser, Mohammed Bettamer came close in the 31st minute, firing a powerful effort from a free kick, but Wickens produced a fine save to deny the forward.

Two minutes from the stroke of half time, the Shots were agonisingly close to levelling as Jayden Harris found the dangerous Andrews, whose shot was excellently tipped onto the post by Wickens’ fingertips.

Aldershot resumed from the break in a lively fashion, testing the home side three minutes in when captain Lewis Kinsella found Bettamer down the left, who cut side and fired towards goal, but his effort was brilliantly blocked by defender Jack Cawley.

A moment later, the Shots duly equalised as a clever free kick by Kinsella found Andrews at the back post, who smashed home past Wickens.

Wickens had his blushes spared four minutes later when Harris pressurised the Wealdstone number one, but the goalkeeper recovered well to prevent the ball from crossing the line.

Enthused by the goal, the away side continued to probe for another, coming close in the 54th minute as Bettamer’s free kick tested Wickens, but the shot-stopper was able to gather.

The Stones seized the initiative in the 62nd minute when Cawley’s trademark long throw was headed home by top goal scorer Umerah.

However, Wealdstone’s lead was short lived, as seven minutes later, a pinpoint ball from Toby Edser was coolly slotted home by Aldershot danger-man Andrews, to claim his brace and restore parity.

Spurred on again by the equaliser, the Shots pushed for a winner, with Bettamer, Harris and substitute Wassim Aouachria drawing fine saves from Wickens.

Three minutes into stoppage time, Aldershot nearly stole all three points at the death, as Kinsella picked out Kodi Lyons-Foster, but his header flew just over the crossbar.

Wealdstone return to action next Saturday 25th September when they travel to The Walks Stadium to face King’s Lynn, in a 3pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Wickens, Cook, Cawley, Okimo (c), Eleftheriou, Charles, Cooper, Elito (Buse 85), Lewis, Jackson, Umerah (Fasanmade 88).

Subs not used: Marigliani, Wishart, Tavares.

Attendance: 1,106.

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page