top of page
  • chriswoods51

Wealdstone 2-1 Weymouth - Match Report

Wealdstone produced an excellent performance and comeback to defeat Weymouth in a thoroughly entertaining match at The Vale this afternoon.

Goals from Dennon Lewis and Jack Cawley cancelled out Ben Thomson’s first half strike to seal three points for the Stones.

Manager Dean Brennan made three changes to the side that drew with Barnet last Saturday as Kundai Benyu, Charlee Hughes and Jacob Mendy were brought into the starting line-up.

Wealdstone started the match with a high tempo, playing on the front-foot and attacking Weymouth from the outset.

In the fifth minute, hotshot Mendy ripped one of his trademark long-range efforts towards the top corner, but Jack Bycroft pulled of a fine save to deny the left-back from adding to his tally.

The Stones continued to pressurise the opposition, and five minutes later, they galvanised another opportunity, as the lively Lewis flashed a teasing ball across the face of the goal, however Hughes was unable to convert for the home side.

An injury to Michael Phillips in the 20th minute forced Brennan to make an early substitution, with Jack Cawley replacing him in central defence.

Against the run of play, the Terras took the lead in the 24th minute through Ben Thomson, who raced through and coolly slotted home past Stuart Moore.

Just before halftime, the Stones were rewarded with well-deserved equaliser as Lewis popped up at the near post to flick a looping header home from Danny Green’s whipped corner, and notch his first goal of the season.

A minute later, Wealdstone looked to have completed their comeback as Mendy hit another rocket from distance, but Bycroft produced another solid save to tip the shot wide.

The Stones started the second half in imperious fashion, taking the lead within two minutes of the restart as Cawley rose highest from Green’s corner to power home a bullet header and claim his first goal for the club.

The home side continued their fluidity and intensity as they created a string of further goal scoring chances, with Michee Efete coming agonisingly close on two occasions.

Goal scorer Cawley nearly grabbed his brace in the 66th minute with another thunderous header, but the defender was denied by the crossbar.

Displaying incisive passing and cohesive play, the Stones were relentless in their pursuit of a third goal, with Efete and Jorome Slew coming close.

Wealdstone held firm to clinch a well-earned victory and an important three points that pushes them up to fifth place in the National League.

The Stones begin their FA Trophy campaign next Saturday 19th December when they host Eastleigh, in 3pm kick-off.

WEALDSTONE: Moore, Efete, Mendy, Phillips (Cawley, 20), Dyer, Okimo (C), Smith, Benyu (Wakefield, 82), Hughes (Slew, 65), Green, Lewis.

Subs not used: Askew, Wishart.

WEYMOUTH: Bycroft, Camp, Jordan, Ngalo, McCarthy, Thomson (Mullings, 63), McQoid (C), Anderson, Leslie-Smith, Al-Hussaini (Cooke, 78), Shields.

Subs not used: Benfield, Santos.

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page