top of page
  • Writer's pictureDec O'Reilly

Report - Wealdstone 4 - 3 Wrexham

Wealdstone grabbed their first victory of the National League season in a frantic 4-3 victory over Wrexham at The Vale.

Stones went ahead through Charlie Wakefield but were pegged back instantly with two goals in two minutes from Jerome Okimo poking into his own net and Adi Yussuf. Stones recovered with goals from Jacob Mendy, Alex Dyer and Michee Efete, with Yussuf grabbing a consolation for the Welsh visitors.

Dean Brennan made just one change from the side that lost to Stockport County last Tuesday as Dennon Lewis returned from injury to replace Jorome Slew.

It took just 15 minutes for the deadlock to be broken; Lewis burst past his man on the left and delivered a pinpoint low cross for Wakefield to poke in from close range.

A freak goal a minute later restored parity. Jamie Reckord's fierce but harmless cross was poked into the bottom corner by Stones captain Okimo. 

Wrexham were sloppy but capitalised on Wealdstone's mistakes, and they went ahead a minute after equalising. Wakefield was dispossessed 30 yards from his goal by Jay Harris and he played in Yussuf who slotted past Harry Isted.

But the National League South champions were not deterred and equalised just five minutes later. Mendy collected the ball 30 yards out and smashed an unstoppable effort past Rob Lainton and into the top corner.

Yussuf had a big chance to put the Welsh side in the lead on 36 minutes after Paul Rutherford played him in on goal but with the goal at his mercy he struck wide.

After a quiet opening to the second half the Stones went ahead. Dyer stepped over a free kick near the by line and swerved in a crossing effort, no head got on the end of it and it creeped in off the far post with Lainton stranded.

Wealdstone's lead was extended on 63 minutes when Mendy's corner was met by the towering head of Efete leaving Lainton with no chance.

Grosvenor Vale then turned into the Alamo with Wrexham peppering the Stones box with delivery after delivery. After several Stones blocks the ball eventually fell to Dragons right back Reece Hall-Johnson but his effort hit the side netting.

Another clear chance fell to Wrexham defender Fiacre Kelleher after Kwame Thomas played him in but he headed wide from close range.

Yussuf doubled his tally late on but it was too late to set up a grandstand finish and the Stones grabbed their first and deserved win of the season.

Report by Chris Woods

Wealdstone: Isted, Efete, Phillips (Cawley 48), Okimo, Mendy, Dyer, Smith, Benyu (Green 66), Wakefield, Lewis, Lafayette (Emmanuel 70).

Subs not used: Charles, Slew.

Wrexham: Lainton, Hall-Johnson, Kelleher, Vassell, Reckord, Harris (c), Young, Durrell, Rutherford (Jarvis 42), Yussuf, Thomas.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page