top of page

Report - Slough Town 2 - 1 Wealdstone

National League South front runners Wealdstone travelled to Arbour Park to face Slough Town in Boxing Day’s top of the table clash; keen to extend their seven point lead over the Rebels.

A first half penalty from Ben Harris, along with a second half strike from Max Worsfold, secured a hard-fought win for Slough Town; with Michee Efete scoring a late consolation goal for the visitors.

The Stones started the match in promising fashion, as they carved out an early goal scoring opportunity in the 12th minute. Speedy winger, Dennon Lewis, surged down the left wing to square the ball across the box to Jacob Mendy, but the Rebelsmanaged to intercept the cross and clear the danger.

In the 21st minute, Lewis was fouled by Sean Fraser on the edge of the box. Ashley Charles took the resultant free kick for the Stones, and curled a fantastic effort, agonisingly wide of the post, into the side netting.  

After a relatively even start to the contest, the Rebels were awarded a penalty in the 25th minute, as William Edjenguélé was adjudged to have fouled Harris in the box. Harris stepped up to take the spot kick, and duly converted past Harry Isted to send the home side into the lead.

As the first half progressed, the match began to amp up in competitiveness and feistiness, with Jerome Okimo suffering a serious injury for the Stones; prompting Dean Brennan to have to make an unexpected substitution, replacing his Captain with Danny Green, in the 33rd minute.

Five minutes later, the home side should have doubled their lead, as George Wells was presented with an easy chance for the Rebels; however, he fluffed his shot in front of goal.

The Stones finished the first half with some added impetus. Billy Clifford seized possession from Matt Lench in midfield and played through the industrious Ross Lafayette; resulting in the striker drilling a first time left-footed effort on target, forcinga solid save from Jack Turner.

The visitors started the second half in a positive manner as they looked to level the match. Green’s short corner to Charles was followed by a neat one-two, with Charles flashing a volley across the face of the goal, and narrowly wide of the far post.

In the 53rd minute, the Stones mounted an attack, as Efete floated a brilliant ball into the box, which Green controlled beautifully, but the midfielder was unable to capitalise.

Three minutes later, Lewis fired home past Turner, after a clever through ball from Clifford, only for the linesman to raise his flag and rule out the visitors’ equaliser.

Lewis was again close to levelling the match for the Stones, as he cut inside and shot from distance, with his effort floating just over the crossbar, in the 66th minute.

Wealdstone’s hopes of salvaging the match took a further dent in the 88th minute, as Max Worsfold latched onto a tidy layoff to side foot past Isted from the edge of the box, and double the Rebel’s lead.

On the stroke of fulltime, as the Stones pushed to reduce the deficit, Efete pounced in the box to slot home past Turner and score a consolation goal for Wealdstone.

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee

Wealdstone return to league action on Saturday 28th December, as they entertain St Albans City at The Vale, in a 3pm kickoff.

Wealdstone: Isted, Efete, Edjenguélé, Clifford (Jebb, 68), Stevens, Okimo (Green, 33), Phillips, Mendy, Lafayette, Charles (Coombes, 61), Lewis.

Subs not used: Noel-Williams, Everett.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page