top of page
  • Writer's pictureWill Beaman

Report - Maidstone United 1-1 Wealdstone

Wealdstone earn a well-earned draw on a rainy Tuesday night at Maidstone United thanks to late heroics from Stones captain Jack Cook.

The Kent side looked to have won it when they took the lead on 80 minutes following some intricate football that saw the ball tapped in to an empty net by Sam Corne.

Captain Cook levelled the game on the 90-minute mark when an excellent finish from the skipper found the back of the Maidstone net.

Maidstone started the match the stronger of the two sides and almost found themselves ahead 10 minutes in when Regan Booty whipped a free-kick towards the bottom corner, but the effort was kept out by a strong Sam Howes save.

The visitors began to find their feet and were starting have success on the counter attack. A pinpoint ball into the box from Sam Habergham was headed just over the bar from the Stones top scorer Rhys Browne.

An uneventful first half juxtaposed an action packed second half for both sides. Stuart Maynard’s side raced out the blocks in the second came close to breaking the deadlock just one minute in when Max Kretzschmar’s ball into the box ricocheted off a Maidstone defender but luckily found its way into Yusuf Mersin’s gloves.

Starting his first game since the season’s opener against Bromley, Olufela Olomola found himself straight into the thick of it and could’ve had his second goal of the season after being played in on goal 49 minutes in, but his powerful effort went wide of the Maidstone goal.

When given the ball to feet, Maidstone winger Christie Pattisson caused problems for the Wealdstone defence and was close to giving Maidstone the lead when his looped cross bounced off the top of the crossbar.

Wealdstone’s best chance of the game fell to substitute Tarryn Allarakhia who picked the ball up in his own half and drove past the Maidstone defence but hit his effort narrowly missed the goal after getting himself into such a good position.

The breakthrough was finally made 80 minutes in when a well worked Maidstone move was tapped home by Sam Corne. The goal being a disappointing blow to Maynard’s men who had limited Maidstone to minimal chances all game.

With time running out, the away side went for broke, throwing everything at the Maidstone goal and found the leveller on 90 minutes after a ball into the box fell to the feet of Jack Cook, who excellently slotted the ball into the back of the net.

Stuart Maynard would’ve been delighted with the desire shown by the Wealdstone players to keep their unbeaten streak alive and make it three draws on the bounce.

Wealdstone look to carry on their unbeaten streak this Saturday when they face Torquay United at The Vale.

WEALDSTONE: Howes, Cook (c), Elerewe, Habergham, Sesay (Napa 84), Charles, Ferguson, Mundle-Smith, Kretzschmar (Allarakhia 61), Browne, Olomola (Hutchinson 76).

Subs not used: Barrett, Dyer.

Attendance: 1,799 (including 110 Wealdstone fans)

Report by Will Beaman


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page