top of page
  • chriswoods51

REPORT | FC Halifax Town 1-0 Wealdstone

Wealdstone suffered another hard day on the road as they were narrowly defeated 1-0 by FC Halifax Town at The Shay.

Millenic Alli grabbed the only goal of the game, capping off a counter attacking move from the hosts after Micah Obiero was dispossessed in the Halifax area.

Stones boss Stuart Maynard made three changes to the side that beat Rochdale the previous weekend. Jed Ward was recalled by Bristol Rovers in the week, whilst Max Kretzschmar and Kyle Smith missed the trip with injury.

That handed a debut to Marcus Dewhurst in goal, with Tahvon Campbell and Micah Obiero also returning to the eleven against one of their former sides in Halifax.

The Stones controlled the majority of the ball in the first half and converted that possession into chances. Obiero made a mazy run through the middle before he saw his effort palmed wide by Sam Johnson on 23 minutes.

The Shaymen keeper has to be alert four minutes later when Tarryn Allarakhia repeated a similar trademark dribble down the left that saw him score against Boreham Wood a couple of weeks ago, although Johnson reacted well to produce a smart save wide of the post.

Dewhurst was then called into his first meaningful action in a Stones shirt. The keeper produced a fine point blank save to deny Alli nodding in from close range.

Campbell threatened just before half time, holding off a Halifax defender and getting a shot away through his legs on the turn, but Johnson got down low to hold.

Allarakhia had another chance to open the scoring in the second half. Ashley Charles picked the winger out with a cross-field ball but he shot just wide after cutting inside.

The hosts then took the lead on 66 minutes in controversial circumstances. He capped off a lightining quick counter attacking move with a fierce finish past Dewhurst, but the Stones dugout were aggrieved that the match official missed a penalty on Obiero in the other box moments before.

After taking the lead the hosts continued to be a counter attacking threat. Sub Rob Harker produced a crucial block from Charlie Barker moments after his entry onto the pitch.

Stones best chance to equalise came on 88 minutes when Abdul Abdulmalik played a neat one-two with fellow sun Nathan Ferguson to get into the area but then mishit it as soon as he got a sight of goal.

Abdulmalik also made a fantastic recovery run and tackle in injury time to prevent Shaymen sub Max Wright doubling the scoring on the break late on.

Wealdstone will lick their wounds and prepare for when they are next in action on Saturday, when local rivals Barnet visit The Vale in what's sure to be another cracking atmosphere at home.

WEALDSTONE: Dewhurst, Cook (c), Barker, Mundle-Smith, Mason, Charles (Ferguson 82), Bowen, Obiero, Allarakhia, Campbell (Abdulmalik 77), Adarkwa (Andrews 77).

Subs not used: Baptiste, Barrett.

Attendance: 2,119 (including 92 Stones fans)

Report by Chris Woods


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page