top of page

Report - Concord Rangers 2 - 3 Wealdstone

Updated: Nov 25, 2018

Wealdstone are through to the 1st Round of the FA Trophy after beating Concord Rangers 3-2 at Thames Road. Stones were dominated the tie for the most part but had to fight of a late comeback from the home side to reach the next stage.

Three changes were made to the Wealdstone side that lost 3-1 at Chippenham Town. New signing Christian Smith made his debut, reducing Simon Mensah to the bench. Bradley Hudson-Odoi came in for Bradley Bubb whilst Shomotun earned a start leaving Joe Payne out.

There were early signs of the importance placed on team organisation and shape, with Stones captain Jerome Okimo commanding from left back. Glenn Wilson sat in the heart of defence and was first to everything, Stones looked confident too. Fumnaya Shomotun weaved across the final third peering for an opening after skipping past Concord captain Lee Minshull, who was later booked, but found nothing.

After 14 minutes, Wealdstone took the lead with a finely executed goal. Bradley Hudson Odoi picked up the ball on the left side and curled a cross to the near-post in the aftermath of a corner, finding Okimo who glanced it in.

Concord Rangers responded positively, though, increasing the pressure but only shooting from range. Wilson took a powerful effort to the stomach from Concord’s Danny Green but stood strong, as did Connor Stevens. Concord pressed and Liam Nash forced Jonathan North into a save down to his right, but Wealdstone looked extremely quick on the counter.

Stones’ attacking assets struck again on 23 minutes, with Fumnaya Shomotun making it 2-0. The floating number 10 drifted in and out, using Rhys Tyler as distraction on the overlap, before cutting inside and curling a wonderful effort into the top left corner. It was quite a remarkable contrast to the previous week.

Defensively Stones were resolute, their passing and movement was rapid, and their game-plan was executed in good fashion. Concord’s last efforts saw Nash putting a tame header wide towards the end of the half, but at half time, it was almost the perfect scenario for Stones.

Concord made a well needed substitution at half time. Green was replaced by Sean Clohessy, and their urgency was significantly lifted. The majority of their efforts came through Nash on the left side, as he skipped past Rhys Tyler with quick footwork but couldn’t find a successful cross.

Shomotun’s nimble footwork lead him across the edge of the box, eyeing up a shot that was blocked. Bradley Hudson-Odoi picked up the loose ball but didn’t have the awareness to make amends from a tight position.

As much as Concord Rangers tried to respond to a dreadful first half, they seemed to struggle and Stones went 3-0 up to put the game into a supposed lack of contention. Rhys Tyler found space down the right and appeared to have lost it, but Shomotun picked it up and floated a cross to the back post for Stones’ David Pratt to nod in on 63 minutes.

Perhaps it was the complacency that allowed Concord a way in. Within 6 minutes of the third goal, it was 2-3. Nash smashed a ball low into the mix of players and captian Lee Minshull stabbed it in before Alex Wall took the ball down on the left side and whacked a rising effort into the top right corner leaving North static.

Wealdstone had taken the foot of the gas and stooped to cruise control with Concord’s supporters urging their team to complete the comeback. They very nearly did on 83 minutes when Clohessy’s free kick was hooked just over by Wall.

The final moments produced end to end stuff. Shomotun danced forward and raced to the byline but his vicious effort was stopped by Frazer Shaw whilst David Pratt scrambled a header clear in a dramatic finish, but Wealdstone will be in the hat.

Wealdstone: North, Tyler, Okimo (C), Stevens, Wilson, Poku, Shomotun, Smith (Mensah, 89), Pratt, Green (Charles, 83), Hudson-Odoi

UNUSED: Bubb, Monakana, Payne


Adam Williams pics HERE

Geoff Smith pics HERE


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page