top of page
  • chriswoods51

Report - Altrincham 0-1 Wealdstone

Wealdstone picked up a much needed and resolute win and clean sheet in a battling 1-0 victory away to Altrincham on Tuesday evening.

Olufela Olomola scored the winner just a minute into the second half, tapping in a great cross from Giovanni McGregor.

Stones boss Stuart Maynard made three changes to the side that lost to Dagenham & Redbridge, with Alex Dyer, Lewis Kinsella and the suspended Deji Elerewe all returning to the eleven.

The visitors had a promising opening early on after some good work from Jordan Hulme in the box saw the ball fall to Josh Lundstram who blazed over from 10 yards out.

Wealdstone responded on 17 minutes with Deji Elerewe seeing a strong header deflect just over from a McGregor corner.

The Stones almost took the lead in freakish circumstances just after half hour. Charlie Barker's cross took a wicked deflection off of Eddy Jones that looped over Ollie Byrne and onto the crossbar.

Tarryn Allarakhia collected the rebound but shot wide after he was swarmed by the Altrincham defence.

On 37 minutes, Altrincham keeper Ollie Byrne had to be alert to push a Micah Obiero effort over that was destined for the top corner.

Just four minutes later Allarakhia had another great chance, capitalising on McGregor's blocked effort in the box, but he swerved just over Byrne's bar.

Stones were teasing the Altrincham goal and on the stroke of half time McGregor put in a great cross for Olomola that saw James Jones almost poke the ball into his own goal.

A minute into the second half, McGregor repeated that cross, and this time Olomola beat his man to poke past Byrne and give the Stones a deserved lead.

The hosts rallied and almost provided a response ten minutes later when Ryan Colclough cut inside from the left and saw his low swerving effort smash off the outside of the far post.

Sam Howes goal lived a charmed life and he didn't have to make a save until 78 minutes, and it was a great stop at that. Getting down low to deny sub Dan Malone.

There was further heroics from the keeper with a minute to go, denying Ben Pringle twice in a crowded area.

And further blocks and tackles ensued in the seven added minutes to seal an important three points and clean sheet as the Stones host Chesterfield and Wrexham at The Vale next week.

WEALDSTONE: Howes, Cook (c), Elerewe, Habergham, Barker, Dyer, McGregor, Kinsella, Allarakhia, Obiero, Olomola (Mongoy 84).

Subs not used: Hutchinson, Matthews.

Attendance: 1,262 (including 52 Wealdstone supporters)

Report by Chris Woods


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page