top of page
  • chriswoods51

MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 4-1 Wealdstone

Updated: Feb 28, 2021

There was no Hollywood ending for the Stones as they fell to a 4-1 defeat to newly-monied Wrexham at the Racecourse Ground.

An assertive first half from the Stones saw them go into half time 1-0 up thanks to Danny Parish's poachers effort. But the Stones once again fell apart defensively with the hosts racking up four second half goals courtesy of a Kwame Thomas brace and goals from Luke Young and Dior Angus.

Caretaker boss Stuart Maynard made two changes to the side that drew 0-0 with Eastleigh in midweek with Michee Efete returning from injury and Parish up front once again.

The Welsh hosts almost took the lead three minutes in, in bizarre circumstances when Jamie Reckord's corner came crashing off the far post and Isted collected.

Wealdstone gave a polar opposite performance from their second half capitulation, looking confident and assured. Jacob Mendy teased the Wrexham goal with a couple of first half efforts just drifting wide.

Danny Green had a great opportunity to open the scoring on 32 minutes when he headed a Dennon Lewis cross just over the bar.

The Stones did grab a deserved lead just two minutes later. Green's corner was well met by the head of Efete, his effort was stopped on the line by a Wrexham defender but Parish was lurking nearby to poke in the rebound.

Wealdstone's brilliant first half performance was undone just 90 seconds into the second half when Angus' effort was parried by Isted into the path of Thomas who tapped in from close range.

A move from the training ground then gave Wrexham the lead on 54 minutes. Reckord's corner was passed to Young on the edge of the box and he smashed it in off the crossbar.

On 68 minutes the Welsh side went 3-1 ahead. Angus beat Jerome Okimo to the ball before delivering a cross to the unmarked Thomas at the far post who had the easiest of headed goals.

The hosts dropped down to 10 men when Theo Vassell picked up a second yellow card midway through the half after a foul on Mendy.

With 15 minutes to go it was four, when Angus shrugged off Jack Cawley down the Stones left and slotted past Isted from a tight angle.

Thomas nearly grabbed a hat-trick in injury time after he saw his a header smash off the bar, Isted did well to save the rebound before Thomas played it out to Tyler French who's resulting cross was met by the head of sub Paul Rutherford who saw his header go just millimetres wide.

WEALDSTONE: Isted, Efete (Lafayette 78), Phillips, Cawley, Okimo (c), Smith, Green, Dyer (Charles 69), Mendy, Lewis (Dalling 69), Parish.

Subs not used: Askew, Wishart.

WREXHAM: Dibble, French, Kelleher, Vassell, Carrington (c), Reckord, Davies (Horsfield 69), Young, Durrell (Rutherford 80), Angus (Ponticelli 88), Thomas. Subs not used: Jarvis, Austin.

Report by Chris Woods


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page