top of page
  • chriswoods51

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 3-1 King's Lynn Town

A fine performance earned Wealdstone a vital victory in the relegation six-pointer against King’s Lynn Town at the Vale this evening.

First half goals from Danny Green and Ross Lafayette, along with a second half strike from Jacob Mendy, sealed a convincing win for the Stones.

Caretaker manager Stuart Maynard made two changes to the side that were beaten by Halifax Town on Saturday, with Michee Efete returning from injury at right back, and last season’s top goal scorer Lafayette leading the line for the Wealdstone.

Both sides started the match brightly, with the visitors coming close to opening the scoring within the first five minutes through efforts from Jack Hickman and Sonny Carey.

However, the Stones seized the initiative two minutes later as Alex Dyer found Green from a quick free kick, and the number ten fired home past Archie Mair to send Wealdstone into an early lead.

Keen to add to their tally, the pair linked up again four minutes later, as Green fired a powerful strike on target, but Mair was on hand with a solid save to deny the Stones from doubling their advantage.

Nevertheless, the Stones finally increased their lead in the 36th minute, when the energetic Mendy fired a fantastic ball across the face of goal, and the experienced Lafayette popped up to guide the ball past Mair and double their lead.

Five minutes later, Dennon Lewis nearly added a third for the Stones as he unleashed a shot from 20 yards, but Mair produced a fine save to deny the forward from scoring in consecutive matches.

The Linnets were close to pulling a goal back on the stroke of halftime with Simeon Jackson sending in a teasing cross into the box which just evaded Kairo Mitchell for a simple tap in.

Wealdstone commenced the second half with the same positive tempo as they looked to build on their lead further.

As the Linnets looked to edge their way back into the contest, man of the moment Harry Isted produced a trademark save to thwart Mitchell’s effort on goal and preserve the score line.

The Stones continued to press for a third and were duly rewarded in 66th minute when hotshot Mendy skipped past two defenders and clinically fired past Mair from the edge of the box to treble the home side’s advantage, and notch his seventh goal of the season.

As the second half progressed, King’s Lynn Town continued to search for a way back into the game, reducing the deficit in the 80th minute when Mitchell converted Andrew Kiwomya’s cross past Isted.

Spurred on by the goal, the Linnets nearly grabbed another goal back seven minutes later as Jackson flicked a Gyasi cross towards goal, but Dan Wishart made a brilliant goal-line clearance to deny the striker on his debut.

Despite King’s Lynn Town’s late rally, the Stones held on to secure a crucial win in their fight for survival in the National League

Wealdstone return to action on Saturday 13th March, when they entertain Notts County at The Vale, in a 3pm kickoff.

WEALDSTONE: Isted, Efete, Okimo (c), Cawley, Mendy, Charles, Phillips, Dyer (Wishart 62), Green (Hughes 82), Lewis, Lafayette (Parish 62). Subs not used: Askew, Hearn.

KING'S LYNN TOWN: Mair, Fleming (Gyasi 72), Callan-McFadden, Smith, Hickman (Jackson 35), Carey, Clunan, Denton, Richards (Payne 85), Kiwomya, Mitchell.

Sub not used: Bastock.

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page