top of page
  • Writer's pictureWealdstone FC

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 1-1 Bromley

Updated: Mar 29, 2022

Wealdstone pegged back Bromley at the death, equalising in the 90th minute to frustrate the play-off chasing side and claim a well-deserved point at The Vale.

Stuart Maynard made two changes to the side that were edged by Stockport County last Saturday as Ira Jackson and Connor McAvoy returned to the starting line-up for the Stones.

Top scorer Josh Umerah came off of the bench for the Stones, scoring within seven minutes of his introduction to rescue a draw for his team, after Bromley’s captain Byron Webster had put the visitors ahead.

The Ravens finished the match with ten men after Andy Woodman had used all three substitutions and Luke Coulson went off injured in the 83rd minute for the Ravens.

The Stones started brightly with Charles Clayden utilising his speed and skill to full effect, terrorising the visitors down the left wing.

In the 7th minute, the energetic attacker surged forward and crossed to Jackson at the far post, but the striker was unable to capitalise.

Hotshot Rhys Browne nearly worked his magic in the 12th minute, turning and striking from just inside the box, however Brentford loanee goalkeeper Ellery Balcombe claimed well for the Ravens.

Two minutes later, Aaron Henry produced a trademark long-range shot which stung the palms of Balcombe.

Bromley were tantalisingly close to opening the scoring in the 21st minute when Corey Whitely struck a powerful effort from range which rebounded off of the crossbar.

Five minutes later, the Ravens nearly scored again as Webster rose highest at the far post to head Billy Bingham’s corner goal-bound, but Henry was well-positioned to make a vital goal line clearance for the Stones.

In the 31st minute, forward James Alabi shrugged off Jack Cook and fired towards goal, with George Wickens producing another crucial save.

After a goalless first-half, the visitors came close to taking the lead in the 50th minute when skipper Webster nodded Coulson’s floated corner just over the crossbar.

In the 62nd minute, Nathan Ferguson rocketed a powerful strike on target, but Balcombe was again equal to the effort.

The Stones were tantalisingly near to seizing the initiative themselves when Henry was denied by the crossbar after firing an effort from an acute angle in the 68th minute.

The Ravens finally broke the deadlock in the 74th minute when Webster headed Chris Bush’s long throw into the top corner past Wickens.

A minute later, the Ravens’ shot-stopper nearly turned goalscorer – launching a long goal kick on target that had to be expertly tipped over the crossbar by Wickens.

Browne looked to have levelled the match in the 84th minute, however Balcombe responded with a vital save to push his shot onto the post.

Stuart Maynard’s late substitution proved fruitful as Wealdstone sealed an equaliser on the stroke of regulation time, with Umerah popping up in the box to convert past Ellery Balcombe.

Spurred on by the goal, the home side rallied for a late winner in the seven additional minutes, with Ferguson agonisingly seeing his shot from a tight angle rebound off of the post.

Notably, Balcombe produced a string of top-quality saves to deny the Stones from finding a winner and ensure the spoils were shared.

Captain Jerome Okimo was also in excellent form for the Stones, marshalling their defensive line superbly and thwarting the Raven’s attacking threats on several occasions.

Stones side: Wickens, Cook, Okimo, Ferguson, Browne, McAvoy (Tavares), Jackson (Umerah), Clayden, Henry, Mundle-Smith, Cooper (Dyer)

Subs not used: Mascoll, Elito

Attendance: 1,161


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page