top of page
  • chriswoods51

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 1-0 Boreham Wood

Wealdstone earned a vital victory and clean sheet against a plucky Boreham Wood side at the Vale this evening.

A first half strike from Connor Smith was enough to edge a tightly contested encounter between the two teams and secure an important three points for the Stones.

Caretaker Manager Stuart Maynard made three changes to the side that were beaten by Wrexham on Saturday with Dan Wishart, Ross Lafayette and Ashley Charles returning to the starting line-up.

The Stones started the match brightly, registering their first chance in the third minute of play when Danny Green whipped a teasing free-kick into the box, which Michee Efete glanced agonisingly wide of the far post.

Wealdstone continued to probe during the early stages, and five minutes later they galvanised their second goal scoring opportunity as Smith’s deep corner found Jack Cawley at the back post, but he could only direct his effort just shy of the target.

In the 18th minute, the Wood nearly edged into the lead themselves when Tyrone Marsh unleashed a fierce shot from 20 yards out, with only the post denying the visitors the advantage.

However, perseverance prevailed for the Stones as they broke the deadlock in the 25th minute when Smith clinically fired home from just inside the area to notch his first goal for the club and send Wealdstone into the lead.

The remainder of the first half continued in the same closely contested vein, with Harry Isted on fine form to nullify any of the Woods’ chances.

Boreham Wood enjoyed the better of the chances in the early exchanges of the second half, with Kabonga Tshimanga latching onto a loose ball in the Wealdstone area and firing just wide of Isted’s goal.

The Stones were next to galvanise an opportunity, nearly doubling their lead in the 63rd minute through Green who he surged forward to the edge of the box and fired low, with his effort marginally evading the far post.

Five minutes later, the visitors nearly levelled, but Isted pulled off another solid save to prevent Smith from scoring; followed by captain Jerome Okimo expertly blocking Tshimanga to deny the forward a simple tap-in.

The Wood continued to pile on the pressure throughout the second half, coming close to scoring again in the 76th minute, with only a heroic goal-line clearance from Wishart preserving their narrow lead.

Three minutes later, Wealdstone were let off the hook when Corey Whitely played in Tshimanga, but the forward could only drag his effort wide.

Late drama followed as the Woods searched for a late equaliser, with Isted producing another excellent reaction save to deny Whitely on the stroke of fulltime.

Two minutes into stoppage time, Gus Mafuta had the chance to snatch a draw for the visitors at the death, but his effort was thwarted as the Stones were able to weather the late storm and seal a win.

Wealdstone return to action on Saturday 6th March, when they entertain FC Halifax Town at The Vale, in a 3pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Isted, Efete, Okimo (c), Cawley, Wishart, Charles, Smith (Dyer 80), Phillips, Green, Mendy (Parish 90), Lafayette (Lewis 75).

Subs not used: Askew, Hearn.

BOREHAM WOOD: Ashmore, Pearce, Fyfield (c), Ilesanmi, Smith, Murtagh, Mafuta, Whitely, Marsh, Tshimanga, Morias (Coulthirst 59).

Subs not used: Huddart, Ricketts, Stephens, Francis-Angol.

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page