top of page
  • Writer's pictureChris Woods

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 0-6 Maidenhead United

Wealdstone were hit for six by Maidenhead United this evening as the Magpies cruised to a resounding victory at The Vale.

A hat trick from Danilo Orsi, along with a brace from Dan Sparkes and a goal from Sam Barratt secured a straight-forward three points for the visitors.

Manager Stuart Maynard made four changes to the side that were comprehensively beaten by Hartlepool United on Saturday. Jake Askew replaced George Shelvey in goal, while Ashley Charles, Sonny Blu Lo-Everton and Danny Parish were named in the starting line-up after their positive impact from the bench.

The first half proved to be a relatively quiet affair, until Maidenhead tested Askew in the 31st minute. Manny Parry headed goal-bound from a corner, but Wealdstone’s goalkeeper produced a fantastic reaction save to tip the effort over the crossbar and ensure the game remained goalless.

However, three minutes later, the Magpies broke the deadlock through Barratt, who capitalised on a defensive error to coolly slot the ball past Askew and send the visitors ahead.

Goal scorer Barratt had the opportunity to double Maidenhead United’s lead two minutes later when he surged towards goal, but Jack Cawley produced a brilliant last-ditch tackle to deny the striker his brace.

The Magpies were out of the traps quickly in the second half, when Orsi raced through on goal in the 47th minute, but the forward could only drag his shot wide of the target.

The Stones responded positively, generating a chance instantly as Ryan Gondoh cut inside and unleashed a shot from range, but Taye Ashby-Hammond was able to claim the effort well.

Wealdstone began to grow into the match and were tantalisingly close to levelling the scores in the 51st minute. The ball dropped to Dennon Lewis after some excellent interplay between Sonny Lo-Everton and Alex Dyer, but the forward could only blaze his effort over the crossbar.

In the 64th minute, the visitors finally doubled their advantage when a long throw fell to Orsi and the Maidenhead number ten duly tucked the ball home from two yards.

Once again, the Stones reacted positively; Lo-Everton galvanised space inside the visitors’ area with a lovely piece of skill and fired a powerful effort towards goal, forcing a fine save from Ashby-Hammond.

Despite this, the floodgates opened 20 minutes from time when Orsi notched his second of the game, turning and firing into the bottom left-hand corner past Askew.

Two minutes later, Orsi sealed his hat trick; rising highest to head home Sparkes’ free kick and increase his side’s lead to four.

The Stones capitulated further in the 81st minute as Sparkes fired past Askew into the bottom corner to register his first goal of the evening.

The rout was completed by Sparkes five minutes before the final whistle when he headed home to seal his brace and the Magpie’s sixth, concluding a forgettable evening for the Stones.

Wealdstone return to action on Saturday 24th April when they travel to The EBB Stadium to face Aldershot Town, in a 3pm kickoff.

WEALDSTONE: Askew, Olowu, Okimo (c), Cawley, Mendy, Charles, Dyer, Lo-Everton, Gondoh (Green 71), Lewis, Parish.

Subs not used: Phillips, Smith, Wishart, Shrowder.

MAIDENHEAD UNITED: Ashby-Hammond, Clerima, Parry, Massey (c), Wells (Twumasi 7), Ince, Comley, Upward, Sparkes, Barratt (Egan 81), Orsi (Kelly 72).

Subs not used: Wiltshire, Sheckleford.

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page