top of page
  • chriswoods51

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 0-1 Charlton Athletic U23s

Updated: Jul 18, 2022

Wealdstone lost their first preseason friendly under manager Stuart Maynard after narrowly being defeated by an impressive Charlton Athletic U23s side this afternoon.

A second half goal from Euan Williams ensured the Addicks edged a tight contest at The Vale.

The Stones’ best chance of the half came on the 17th minute mark when Dom Hutchinson beat the Addicks’ Zach Mitchell, but the new signing could only curl his shot wide of the far post.

Wealdstone’s next goal scoring opportunity came in the 34th minute when Tarryn Allarakhia latched onto the ball inside the box; however, he blazed his effort over the crossbar.

The Addicks came close to netting in the 40th minute when Richard Chin rose highest at the far post to head former Stone, Aaron Henry’s, excellent ball towards the top corner, but goalkeeper Sam Howes produced a solid save to deny the Charlton winger.

A moment later, forward Jordy Mongoy broke free from the Charlton defence to coolly slot home past Nathan Harvey, but the assistant referee ruled out the goal for offside.

Just shy of half-time, Mongoy nearly broke the deadlock again when his long range effort prompted Harvey to have to produce a fine save.

Charlton started the second half on the front foot, galvanising a chance almost immediately when Harris O’Connor cut inside from the right wing and fired towards goal, but Howes reacted with a great save.

A minute later, the Stones nearly seized the initiative when Allarahkia’s shot was parried by Harvey, yet Hutchinson was only able to drag the rebound wide.

In the 55th minute, the Addick’s took the lead when Henry’s ball across the box was calmly converted home past Howes by Williams.

Wealdstone had the chance to equalise almost immediately when David Sesay picked out Hutchinson with his cross, but the striker lost his footing, enabling Harvey to gather the ball.

Marquee signing Max Kretzschmar was introduced in the 62nd minute and nearly turned provider when is corner found captain Jack Cook, whose header was on target, only to be expertly blocked on the line by substitute Seydil Toure.

In the 74th minute, the home side were close to drawing level again as Kretzschmar played Mongoy through on goal, but former Stone Charlie Barker produced a superb last-ditch tackle to thwart the danger.

A moment later, Kretzschmar was involved in the action again, unleashing a powerful strike from distance, which was saved by substitute goalkeeper Henry Holyneux.

With ten minutes remaining, Wealdstone had the opportunity to score, after Malachi Napa cutback the ball from the byline; however, Mongoy struck wide.

At the death, the Stones were presented with another chance to salvage a draw when Alex Dyer surged down the left wing and crossed for Mongoy, but the striker was unable to convert.

Wealdstone return to preseason action on Wednesday, 20th July when they entertain Championship side QPR at The Vale, in a 7.45pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Howes, Trialist A, Cook (c), Habergham (Trialist B 62), Sesay, Ferguson (Dyer 62), Young (Trialist C 62), Allarakhia (Kretzschmar 62), Napa, Hutchinson, Mongoy.

Subs not used: Negraru, Hearn, Balogun, O'Connor.

Attendance: TBA

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page