top of page
  • Writer's pictureChris Woods

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 0-1 Bromley

Wealdstone were narrowly edged by Bromley this evening, producing a vastly improved and spirited performance, after a run of heavy defeats.

A second half goal from Joe Kizzi was enough to seal all three points for the visitors as they held on to secure a clean sheet.

Manager Stuart Maynard made three changes to the team that was thrashed by Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday, with Alex Dyer, Danny Parish and Dan Wishart returning to the starting line-up, while promising academy players Eli Hearn and Tecane Shrowder were named to the bench.

The Stones started the match in a positive fashion with Jacob Mendy’s pace and skill causing problems for Bromley down the right hand side, enabling the wingback to deliver some dangerous crosses into the box.

However, the home side were unable to capitalise on these opportunities, and the Ravens nearly broke the deadlock in the 21st minute when Michael Cheek was played through on goal, but Joseph Olowu recovered well to prevent the visitors from taking the lead.

Three minutes later, Cheek was released through on goal again, but Jake Askew was quick off of his line to deny the Ravens’ forward.

In the 34th minute, Wishart, who was having a storming game down the left wing, swung a teasing ball into the box which just evaded Charlee Hughes at the front post.

After an encouraging first 45 minutes of solid defending and looking threatening on the break, the Stones went into half time on level terms with Bromley.

A galvanised Wealdstone side returned after the interval and they were nearly rewarded for their creative endeavours when Ashley Charles whipped a fantastic ball towards Parish at the far post, but the striker could only send his effort just over the crossbar.

The Ravens came close to scoring six minutes later as Kizzi rose highest from a corner to glance his header just wide of the post.

In the 61st minute, the visitors eventually seized the initiative as Kizzi popped up again to tuck home from close range for Bromley.

As the Ravens looked to increase their advantage, Askew was called into action to produce an excellent save to thwart substitute James Alabi’s effort in the 72nd minute.

The Stones continued to press for an equaliser and came agonisingly close in the 79th minute when Sonny Blu Lo-Everton struck a fierce effort from just outside the box which stung the hands of Mark Cousins.

Despite this, two minutes later, Wealdstone nearly fell further behind as Cheek profited from a defensive error, but the number nine could only send his effort wide.

The Stones rallied to salvage a draw, with Ryan Gondoh unleashing a driven effort from the edge of the area one minute into stoppage time, however Cousins produced a comfortable save.

Wealdstone return to action on Saturday 15th May when they travel to the Technique Stadium to face Chesterfield, in a 3pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Askew, Olowu (Lewis 72), Harbottle, Okimo (c), Mendy, Charles, Dyer, Lo-Everton, Wishart (Phillips 60), Parish, Hughes (Gondoh 79).

Subs not used: Shrowder, Hearn.

BROMLEY: Cousins, Kizzi, Mitchell (Holland 40), Bush (c), Fox, Raymond, Bingham, Arthurs, Bridge (Forster 80), Williamson (Alabi 62), Cheek.

Subs not used: Trotter, Campbell.

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page