top of page
  • Writer's pictureChris Woods

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 0-0 Solihull Moors

Updated: Oct 6, 2021

The spoils were shared yesterday evening at The Vale as Wealdstone ground out a goalless draw against playoff chasing Solihull Moors in front of the BT Sport cameras.

Wealdstone manager Stuart Maynard made three changes to the side that were thrashed by Torquay on Saturday as Alex Dyer, Dennon Lewis and Jay Bird were brought into the starting line-up.

Despite clear-cut chances for both sides, the match ended in a stalemate as neither side proved to be clinical in front of goal.

The Stones galvanised the first sight of goal in the second minute of play when Ashley Charles saw his shot ricochet just wide of the target.

The Moors produced their best opportunity of the match on the twelfth minute mark when Danny Newton found Jordan Cranston wide on the left; the fullback whipped in a dangerous low cross that was poked goal-bound by Andy Dallas, but agonisingly rebounded off of the post and across the face of the goal without crossing the line.

A minute later, Wealdstone drew a vital save from Solihull’s Ryan Boot when Andrew Eleftheriou swung in a teasing cross that was directed towards the bottom corner, but the visitors’ number one was equal to the effort.

Neal Ardley’s men went close again in the 18th minute when James Ball latched onto a loose ball from 25 yards out and fizzed a strike just wide of the post.

It was then the Stones’ turn to test the Moors a couple of minutes later as Eleftheriou’s long throw was flicked on by Josh Umerah, finding Charlie Cooper, who nodded his effort marginally wide of the target.

Dallas popped up again for Solihull just shy of the half-hour mark, skipping past two Wealdstone defenders and firing a low strike towards goal, but George Wickens responded with a solid save.

In the closing stages of the first half, the Stones crafted a fantastic goal scoring opportunity when Dyer cleverly released Umerah for a one-on-one with Boot, but the striker’s shot was well-saved by the Moors’ shot-stopper.

The visitors started the second half brightly, generating a chance within two minutes as Cranston whipped one of his trademark dangerous crosses into the box, but Dallas was unable to keep his headed effort down.

The Moors nearly snatched a goal in the 55th minute when the speedy Joe Sbarra raced through on goal, but the imperious Tavares produced a crucial last-ditch tackle to thwart the midfielder.

A minute later, Ashley Charles dispossessed Justin Donawa and found Umerah, who struck from distance, with his effort flying narrowly over the crossbar.

Despite some late substitutions from both teams, the remainder of the second half was devoid of attacking prowess, with neither team able to create a breakthrough.

Three additional minutes were added and the Stones had the chance to snatch all three points at the death as Umerah was released through on goal, however the forward’s strike was straight at Boot.

Wealdstone return to action on Saturday 9th October when they entertain Eastleigh at The Vale, in a 3pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Wickens, Tavares, Cook (c), Barker, Eleftheriou, Charles (Elito 90), Dyer (Buse 83), Cooper, Lewis, Bird, Umerah.

Subs not used: Wishart, Stevens, Fasanmade.

Attendance: 1,501

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page