top of page
  • Writer's pictureWealdstone FC

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 0-0 Maidenhead United

Updated: Apr 7, 2022

Wealdstone ground out a goalless draw with Maidenhead United this evening at The Vale as the spoils were shared between the neighbouring relegation battlers.

While securing a valuable point and edging closer to National League safety, the Stones also notched their tenth clean sheet of the season.

Stuart Maynard made three changes to the side that were defeated by Halifax on Saturday, with Jaydn Mundle-Smith returning in defence, Ashley Charles slotting into midfield and Ira Jackson leading the line for Stones.

Alan Devonshire’s side registered the opening chance of the match in the 11th minute as Shaun Donnellan strike from 25 yards was expertly saved by Wealdstone’s number one George Wickens, with only the crossbar denying Kane Ferdinhand’s rebounded effort.

The Stones’ first opportunity was galvanised in the 22nd minute as dead ball specialist Aaron Henry whipped in a fierce free kick which was initially spilled by Nathan Ashmore, prior to being eventually being held by the Magpies’ goalkeeper before Rhys Browne was able to pounce.

Jackson was next to test Ashmore from distance on the 30thminute mark, but Maidenhead’s shot-stopper was equal to his effort.

Wealdstone’s best chance of the half came five minutes later as Charles Clayden drilled a low cross towards Browne, who generated a point-blank save from Ashmore, before Will De Haviland headed the ball clear.

On the stroke of half-time, Jack Cook produced a vital block to thwart Charlee Adams’ effort from the edge of the area to ensure his side was level at the break.

Although the Stones edged the first half, but the Magpies came out for the second half with added impetus, nearly breaking the deadlock in the 51st minute as Sam Barratt’s swerving free kick crashed off of the post.

Five minutes later, the visitors were denied by the upright again as Josh Kelly’s strike was brilliantly tipped onto the post by Wickens’ fingertip save.

In the 70th minute, Wealdstone looked like they were going to seize the initiative when Mundle-Smith’s dangerous cross found Clayden at the far post, but the winger could only poke his effort wide of the target.

Cook was once again was well-positioned; blocking Nathan Blissett’s shot from 18 yards out to preserve the score line in the 74th minute.

The Magpies were close to taking a late lead in the 80th minute when Barratt nearly scored directly from a corner, but defensive stalwart Cook make a crucial goal line clearance.

Three minutes from time, Maidenhead countered through Adams, but some astute defending from Mundle-Smith narrowed the angle, enabling Wickens to produce a comfortable save.

A minute into stoppage time, the Stones had a chance to snatch all three points at the death as Henry whipped in a teasing free kick which was almost flicked home by Cook, however Blissett was on hand to intercept.

Wealdstone return to action next on Saturday 9th April when they entertain Chesterfield at The Vale, in a 3pm kick-off.

WEALDSTONE: Wickens, McAvoy, Cook, Okimo (c), Mundle-Smith, Charles (Umerah 60), Henry, Ferguson, Clayden, Browne, Jackson.

Subs not used: Sesay, Tavares, Dyer, Mascoll.

Attendance: 1,222

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page