top of page
  • chriswoods51

MATCH REPORT | Dagenham & Redbridge 2-2 Wealdstone

Wealdstone earned an impressive point on the road against table toppers Dagenham & Redbridge this afternoon, as they drew with the Daggers at The Chigwell Construction Stadium.

An early goal from Josh Umerah was cancelled out before half time by Paul McCallum for the home side, while substitutes Dennon Lewis and George Saunders each scored for their respective sides in the second half to share the spoils.

Manager Stuart Maynard made two changes to the side that secured their first point of the season on Monday against Southend United, with Dan Wishart and Craig Fasanmade starting for the Stones.

The Stones had the perfect start to the match in the 8th minute of play when Umerah latched onto a poor defensive header and coolly slotted home past Elliot Justham to send the visitors into an early lead, and notch his second goal of the season.

Wealdstone enjoyed the lion’s share of possession during the early stages as they patiently built up play, with Umerah and Fasanmade both registering speculative efforts from range which flew just wide of Justham’s near post.

As the half progressed, the Daggers began to pose more of an attacking threat, with goalkeeper George Wickens producing some top quality saves to thwart the home side’s efforts.

However, ten minutes before the interval, Dagenham duly equalised through McCallum as the striker fired past Wickens to tie the match.

This goal spurred the Daggers on as they looked to double their lead, but the Stones responded excellently with some resolute defending to ensure they went into half time on level terms.

The second half saw the Stones push to seize the initiative from the outset, with Umerah firing just over the crossbar after a cohesive passage of play on the left wing.

With end-to-end action, Wealdstone exhibited both their attacking prowess and defensive resilience throughout the second half.

In the 74th minute, newly introduced Lewis cut inside on the left wing and fired past Justham into the far corner to send the Stones into the lead.

However, six minutes later, the Daggers pegged the visitors back again as Myles Weston floated a tempting cross into the box which Saunders converted past Wickens.

Despite late chances for both sides, the points were shared. Wealdstone return to action next Saturday 11th September, when they entertain Altrincham at The Vale, in a 3pm kickoff.

WEALDSTONE: Wickens, Cook, Cawley (Tavares 84), Okimo (c), Eleftheriou, Charles, Dyer, Cooper, Wishart (Lewis 73), Fasanmade (Browne 73), Umerah.

Subs not used: Buse, Elito.

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page