top of page
  • Writer's pictureChris Woods

MATCH REPORT | Chesterfield 0-0 Wealdstone

Wealdstone earned a commendable, hard-fought draw against playoff vying Chesterfield at the Technique Stadium this afternoon.

The Stones registered their first point and clean sheet in nine games, and were unlucky not to have claimed all three points after creating more clear-cut chances than their opponents.

Manager Stuart Maynard made two changes to the team that were narrowly edged by Bromley on Tuesday evening, with goalkeeper George Shelvey and winger Dennon Lewis both returning to the starting line-up.

The Spireites started the brighter of the two sides, with Danny Rowe testing Shelvey in the sixth minute of the match, but Stones’ goalkeeper Shelvey was equal to his effort.

A minute later, Chesterfield striker Adi Yussuf executed an excellent bicycle kick, with only the crossbar denying the striker from scoring a spectacular acrobatic goal.

The home side continued to dominate the early exchanges with the lion’s share of possession, keeping Wealdstone locked in their own half.

Despite this, midway through the first half, the Stones began to settle into the tempo of the match, with Lewis cutting in from the left wing and unleashing a powerful effort that was deflected narrowly over James Montgomery’s crossbar.

In the 38th minute, the Spireites converted past Shelvey from a corner, but referee Robert Massey-Ellis ruled the goal out after the linesman had flagged for a foul.

After a goalless first half, the home side nearly broke the deadlock a minute after the restart; however Riley-Jay Harbottle recovered with an excellent goal-line clearance to preserve the score line.

Four minutes later, Chesterfield came close to scoring again when Liam Mandeville’s cross was headed just wide at the far post by George Carline.

As the second half progressed, Wealdstone began to galvanise some impressive attacks, with Sonny Blu Lo-Everton’s effort in the 52nd minute the pick of the bunch. Alex Dyer released Lewis down the left channel, and the winger whipped in a teasing cross to Lo-Everton, who rifled a sweet first-time volley towards to the top corner, with only a fine save from Montgomery denying the midfielder

Three minutes later, Jacob Mendy cut inside from the right wing and fired towards goal. His shot was saved by Montgomery, but Charlee Hughes latched onto the rebound and headed his effort marginally over the crossbar.

The match continued to provide end-to-end action, as substitute Marcus Dinanga and defender George Carline both came close for the Spireites.

The introduction of the lively Ryan Gondoh generated more attacking flair for the Stones as he combined with Lewis in the 74th minute, enabling the latter to strike an effort from range which had to be saved by Montgomery.

Gondoh embarked on a fantastic mazy run four minutes later, releasing Hughes in the box, but the striker was thwarted just before he could shoot.

In the 82nd minute, Tom Whelan popped up unmarked in the box for Chesterfield, but he could only fire wide from close range.

With six additional minutes added, late drama ensued as the Stones nearly scored a goal to clinch all three points at the death. Gondoh and Lewis combined effortlessly once again, with Lewis surging into the box and rifling an effort towards goal, but Montgomery produced another solid save to ensure the spoils were shared.

Wealdstone return to action next Saturday 22nd May for their final home game of the season when they entertain Solihull Moors at The Vale, in a 3pm kick off.

Assistant Manager Matt Saunders said: “I’m immensely proud of everyone at the club to go to Chesterfield and get a point. I think any neutral would agree we should have won the game. We had three glorious chances and should have been walking away with the three points. It’s something to build on again for the Solihull game and beyond."

WEALDSTONE: Shelvey, Olowu, Harbottle, Okimo (c), Mendy, Charles, Dyer, Lo-Everton, Lewis, Parish (Gondoh 67), Hughes.

Subs not used: Askew, Phillips, Shrowder, Hearn.

CHESTERFIELD: Montgomery, Carline, Yarney, Evans, Maguire (c), McCourt (Whelan 59), Oyeleke, Clarke, Mandeville (Mitchell 80), Yussuf (Dinanga 46), Rowe.

Subs not used: Smith, Whittle.

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page