top of page
  • Writer's pictureChris Woods

MATCH REPORT | Bromley 3-2 Wealdstone

Updated: Dec 6, 2021

There was late drama at Hayes Lane as ten-man Wealdstone suffered injury time heartbreak in a 3-2 defeat to Bromley.

Stones took an early lead through Josh Umerah until they were pegged back by goals from George Alexander and Marcus Sablier in the first half.

The visitors were then reduced to ten-men early in the second half when goalkeeper George Wickens clashed with Alexander, however this undeterred the Stones who equalised with Jack Cook before Byron Webster's controversial header in injury time sealed it.

Stones boss Stuart Maynard made three changes to the side that lost to Stockport County last week with Ashley Charles, Ira Jackson and Jamie Mascoll all returning to the starting eleven.

And it was a bright start for the visitors after Jayden Sweeney won the ball deep in the Bromley half before playing out wide to Mascoll, he picked out his former Charlton team-mate Umerah at the near post who scored with an audacious backheel flick past Mark Cousins.

Between the sticks, Wickens had a busy first half after Omar Sowunmi flicked a Chris Bush long-throw toward goal but the keeper had the presence to palm the ball away from the onrushing Bromley skipper Webster to keep the Stones ahead.

Then on 12 minutes the Stones almost doubled their lead in peculiar fashion. Charlie Cooper's cross was diverted toward his own goal by Michael Cheek but his attempted clearance crashed off the crossbar before Jackson's rebound was blocked by Bush.

Bush's long throws were proving a nuisance for the Stones defence. Sowunmi flicked on another into the path of Alexander who dinked an effort over Wickens to restore parity on 26 minutes.

This perked the hosts out and they took the lead four minutes later when Sablier dispossessed Alex Dyer before unleashing an unbeatable effort past Wickens from 25 yards.

Wickens had to produce more heroics moments later after Cheek's powerful header from a Josh Coulson cross was tipped over the bar by the on-loan Fulham keeper.

The keeper then repeated that feat just minutes into the second half to deny top scorer Cheek again after getting on the end of a Coulson cross.

The game then appeared to take a turn on 56 minutes when Wickens clashed with Alexander off the ball. The keeper was sent off by the referee leaving Alfie Marigliani to come on and make his senior debut in place of Jackson.

But Marigliani and his nine team-mates were nonplussed by Bromley's man advantage and took the game to the hosts.

And on 72 minutes the Stones grabbed a deserved equaliser. Cooper whipped in an exquisite free kick onto the diving head of Cook at the far post and the ball nestled into the far corner.

Sowunmi had a brilliant chance to put the hosts back ahead just minutes later after being found unmarked in the box. The defender and the entirety of the Stones backline seemed surprise to see the flag stay down and he hit his effort straight at Marigliani.

And in stoppage time the hosts got a winner. A cross was played onto the head of skipper Webster who nodded past Marigliani to win the game. Stones players were immediately incensed by the goal as they felt that Webster was in a clear offside position.

Stones are back in action next Saturday when FC Halifax Town visit Grosvenor Vale for a 3pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Wickens, Cook, McAvoy, Okimo (c), Sweeney, Charles, Dyer, Cooper, Mascoll, Jackson (Marigliani 59), Umerah.

Subs not used: Buse, Dronfield, Bird, Shrowder.

Attendance: 1,747

Report by Chris Woods


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page