top of page
  • chriswoods51

MATCH REPORT | Boreham Wood 3-1 Wealdstone

Wealdstone fell to a 3-1 defeat to Boreham Wood despite Jacob Mendy's 82nd minute equaliser at Meadow Park.

The hosts took a deserved lead through Jamal Fyfield midway through the second half before Mendy's late equaliser. The Stones were then pegged back by a Kabongo Tshimanga double with Craig Fasanmade sent off in between the Wood goals.

Boss Stuart Maynard made just one change to the side that thrashed Barnet 5-1 on Easter Monday, with new Nottingham Forest loanee George Shelvey coming in for Jake Askew in goal.

Tshimanga should've opened his account just two minutes in after he was presented with an opportunity by a lapse in the Stones midfield 30 yards from their goal but he dragged his effort wide from the edge of the box.

On 34 minutes, Corey Whitely made a brilliant solo run, shrugging off Danny Green and then beating Riley Harbottle before blazing his effort over when 10 yards from goal.

He almost atoned for that miss just a minute later when he was played in by Tyrone Marsh, he just beat Shelvey to the ball but poked wide.

The introduction of Fasanmade at half time allowed the Stones to be more adventurous going forward, but still withstanding a barrage of Boreham Wood pressure.

Defender Femi Ilesanmi almost scored a spectacular 30-yard effort but Shelvey did well to tip his effort onto the crossbar.

The Stones finally tested Nathan Ashmore in the Wood goal on 69 minutes but the experience stopper pushed Green's effort wide.

But just four minutes later the hosts took a deserve lead when Fyfield nodded in from close range unopposed after a free kick was whipped into the Stones area.

Wealdstone refused to look beat and almost equalised when Dennon Lewis nipped past Mark Ricketts on the Stones left wing, cutting a ball back to Mendy on the edge of the box but he shot over.

But just two minutes later Lewis produced a carbon-copy run, again beating the Wood captain Ricketts, squaring to Mendy on the edge of the box who made no mistake this time, tucking away an effort into the bottom corner.

Just when the Stones thought they would be leaving Meadow Park with a point and perhaps more, they were pegged back by Tshimanga who converted Kane Smith's cross from close range into the roof of the net.

A clearly frustrated Stones side was epitomised in Fasanmade being given his marching orders dead on 90 minutes after an altercation with Wood defender Tom Champion.

And in chasing for an equaliser in stoppage time, and with 10-men, the Stones were hit by the hosts on the break where Tshimanga rounded Shelvey to slot into an empty net.

WEALDSTONE: Shelvey, Harbottle, Okimo (c), Cawley, Mendy, Smith (Parish 77), Phillips, Dyer, Gondoh (Fasanmade 46), Green, Lewis.

Subs not used: Askew, Hearn.

BOREHAM WOOD: Ashmore, Ilesanmi, Fyfield, Champion, Whitely, Mafuta, Ricketts (c), Marsh, Smith, Murtagh, Tshimanga.

Subs not used: Green, Stephens, Pearce, Rhead, Jallow.

Report by Chris Woods


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page