top of page
  • Writer's pictureWealdstone FC

MATCH REPORT | Barnet 1-3 Wealdstone

Updated: Feb 13, 2022

Wealdstone stung the Bees at The Hive on Saturday afternoon, producing a superb performance to beat local rivals Barnet, and leave their 848 travelling supporters buzzing after a memorable derby victory.

Goals from Nathan Ferguson, Josh Umerah and Jadyn Mundle-Smith enabled the Stones to cruise past Barnet and advance to 16th in the National League table; with Ben Richards-Everton’s strike proving only consolatory for the home side.

Stuart Maynard made two changes to the side that secured a credible win over Yeovil Town on Tuesday, with Charlie Cooper and Mundle-Smith returning to the starting line-up.

The Stones started the game aggressively, displaying a high-tempo from the outset as they looked to seize an early initiative. Nik Tavares won the ball and set up the magical Medy Elito to strike from the edge of the box, but the former Wealdstone goalkeeper Aston Oxborough pulled of a solid save to deny the attacker in the 6th minute.

Four minutes later, the Stones won a free kick in their own half, which was played quickly to the industrious Cooper; however his long-range effort was stifled well by Oxborough in the Bees’ goal.

Wealdstone’s direct play and attacking prowess was duly rewarded in the 13th minute as excellent play out wide on the right from Elito fed Ferguson, who surged into the box and smashed a brilliant strike over Oxborough to send the Stones into a deserved lead, and notch his first goal for the club.

The 23rd minute marked a pivotal moment in the half as Rob Hall’s long-range strike was parried away by George Wickens, with the rebound cleared wide of the post by captain Jerome Okimo to deny a certain goal for the hosts.

Two minutes later, the Stones nearly extended their lead as Mundle-Smith dispossessed a Barnet player on the edge of their box and slipped the ball to Umerah, but his shot flew over the crossbar.

Wealdstone’s persistence to play on the front foot paid dividends as they doubled their lead on the half hour mark. An exquisite cross field pass from Charlton loanee Aaron Henry found Elito, who fed the overlapping Tavares, and his drilled ball was turned home by top goalscorer Umerah, stretching his tally to ten for the season.

Within four minutes of the restart, the Bees reduced the deficit as Richards-Everton latched onto a loose ball to fire home and bring Barnet back into the match.

A moment later, the home side were close to drawing level as a quick counter attack resulted in Daniel Powell cutting inside and firing narrowly wide from the edge of the box.

The Stones responded positively as Elito and Mundle-Smith combined on the left wing, with the latter advancing into the box and firing a sublime shot over Oxborough into the top corner in the 52nd minute; registering his first goal for the club in style.

Wealdstone continued to probe for another goal and nearly did in spectacular style when Jack Cook, who is having an impressivemaiden season with the Stones, executed an acrobatic bicycle kick which flew narrowly over the crossbar.

The Bees looked to claw a goal back and came close in the 64thminute when Wes Fonguck’s inswinging corner caused a melee in the box, but Ferguson was on-hand to clear for the Stones.

Fonguck provided some impetus for Barnet again in the 70thminute when he drove towards goal and cut back, before striking into Wickens’ hands.

Three minutes later, Umerah, who had led the line excellently, beat Jordan Thomas and fired low shot at goal from just inside the area, but Oxborough responded with a fine save.

Fifteen minutes from time, Fonguck’s corner fell to substitute Serhat Tasdemir on the edge of the box, with his deflected strike dipping just over the bar.

In the 81st minute, the Bees worked the ball nicely around Wealdstone's box to allow Fonguck to strike at goal, but it wasdiverted narrowly wide of the post by Cook.

The Stones, who performed phenomenally throughout, held firm to secure the double over local rivals Barnet and seal a second consecutive three points within a week.

Wealdstone return to action on Tuesday 15th February, when they host Maidenhead United at The Vale in a 7.45pm kick-off.

WEALDSTONE: Wickens, McAvoy, Cook, Okimo (c), Tavares (Sesay 75), Henry, Ferguson, Cooper, Mundle-Smith (Dyer 85), Elito (Browne 72), Umerah.

Subs not used: Charles, Mascoll.

Attendance: 2,248 (including 848 Wealdstone fans)

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page