top of page
  • chriswoods51

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 0-2 Yeovil Town

Wealdstone fell to a narrow defeat by Yeovil Town at The Vale this afternoon, despite a vastly improved second half performance.

First half goals from Tom Knowles and Joe Quigley proved to be the difference between the two sides as the visitors held firm for three points.

Yeovil nearly had the perfect start as defender Billy Sass-Davies rose highest from a free kick in the second minute of play to head narrowly wide of Jake Askew’s post.

Four minutes later, Quigley looked like opening his account as he surged down the left wing on a counter attack, but Joseph Olowu produced a vital block to thwart the danger.

The Glovers continued to dominate proceedings and were duly rewarded in the 14th minute when the Stones failed to clear their lines and Knowles rocketed a shot into the far corner past Askew from just inside the box to send the visitors into a deserved lead.

In-form Quigley was close to doubling Yeovil’s advantage five minutes later when he latched onto a long throw, however the striker could only blaze his effort high and wide from 6 yards.

The Glovers’ striker did not have to wait long to notch his fourth goal in two games as he popped up in the 23rd minute to fire home past Askew after a melee of blocked efforts from the visitors.

Wealdstone’s fortunes took a further blow with two first half injuries prompting early substitutions, as Sonny Blu Lo-Everton and Charlee Hughes replaced Alex Dyer and Dennon Lewis.

The Stones looked certain to go three down before half time through Sass-Davies, but the outstanding Askew produced another fantastic save to deny the defender.

The second half saw a galvanised Wealdstone side as they rallied to reduce the two-goal deficit and probe their way back into the match.

Two strong penalty appeals in successive minutes for the hosts after were denied by referee Lewis Smith as Hughes and Lo-Everton were brought down in the area.

Despite the Stones’ efforts to edge back into the match, the Glovers nearly put the tie to bed in the 62nd minute when Quigley’s effort was heading on target, but Connor Smith was on hand with a crucial goal-line clearance to preserve the score.

Young shot-stopper Askew produced two more top quality saves from Sass-Davies and Charlie Lee to keep his side in the game; however the Stones were unable to pose enough of an attacking threat to test the Glovers’ Adam Smith.

Wealdstone return to action on Bank Holiday Monday when they travel to Edgeley Park to face Stockport County in a 3pm kick off.

Post-match reaction from Wealdstone Manager Stuart Maynard: "If we got a goal in that second half we would've been right back in the game, we had a couple of penalty shouts on Charlee Hughes and Sonny, they should have had a man sent off in the first half for a second bookable offence, we're just not getting the rub of the green at the moment from officials.

"They were sloppy goals to give away, we told the lads that at half time but they come out in the second half and gave all they've got, they had a good go and like I said if we could've got a goal through one of those penalty shouts or one of those chances that we put over the bar it would have been a completely different game."

WEALDSTONE: Askew, Phillips, Olowu, Okimo (c), Wishart (Gondoh 71), Charles, Smith, Dyer (Lo-Everton 18), Green, Mendy, Lewis (Hughes 41).

Subs not used: Parish, Hearn.

YEOVIL TOWN: A. Smith, Kelly, Skendi, Sass-Davies, Dickinson (c), Lee, J. Smith, Dagnall, Knowles (Sonupe 72), Neufville (Bradley 86), Quigley (Reid 79).

Subs not used: Evans, Hunt.

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page