top of page
  • Kevin Affleck

Report: York City 1-2 Wealdstone

Updated: Nov 20, 2022

Wealdstone's mini revival continued with a stunning three points and turnaround away at York City this afternoon.

The match was seemingly heading for a draw but Jack Cook (who else?) thumped in a header from a Lewis Kinsella delivery deep into injury time. Captain Cook did it again, leading by example like he did at home to Bromley and away at Maidstone. His goal completed quite the comeback as the home side had led through Manny Duku's 12th-minute goal only for Miguel Freckleton to cancel it out with his first goal in senior football on 68 minutes.

It was a result that had all the hallmarks of the win by the same score at Aldershot and showed the full potential of this team when everyone is fit and available.

It was just a shame so many fans missed the start of the first match against the Minstermen because of transport issues at the train station but, hopefully, they made it in time to see the turnaround and saw the best version of the Stones. Talk about showing character and grinding out a win when not at your best.

Maynard's side were second best for at least half the first half and were lucky not to be more than one goal behind. However, they got better and better as the match wore on and definitely finished the game in the ascendancy.

York came into the game on the back of a tumultuous week – and the fans started by chanting the name of John Askey, their former manager who was surprisingly sacked in the week. Some supporters had their backs to the play while chanting at the director's box when Olly Dyson shot straight at Sam Howes from close range.

There was also a terrific sliding block from Charlie Barker to intercept a cross from Ryan Fallowfield that was bound for trouble. From the resulting corner, Adam Crookes headed against the bar and then Lennell John-Lewis had the follow-up effort cleared off the line. A pumped-up home side really should have been in front by at least one inside 12 minutes.

The vociferous home support didn't have to wait too much longer for the opener, Duku powerfully heading in a corner from the left-hand side. The LNER Community Stadium erupted, as if they were letting out all their frustration at the events of the week.

It took 16 minutes for the Stones to fashion their first real chance. Lewis Kinsella galloped down the left and collected a cross-field pass from Barker in his stride. He sent over a left-footed cross that Olufela Olomola glanced over.

The Stones became more cohesive and fluent as the half wore on, increasingly threatening down the left-hand side through Kinsella and Tarryn Allarakhia, usually after a diagonal ball from Barker, the defender on loan from Charlton who had a very good first half. But the Stones found themselves behind at the break – and they could have few complaints.

Things followed a similar pattern at the start of the second half, with Stones controlling possession without really looking threatening. The closest they came was just after the hour when a corner from Giovanni McGregor was flicked on by Jack Cook and hit Alex Dyer six yards out without the midfielder knowing too much about it. Shortly after, Maynard summoned Max Kretzschmar from the bench – and three minutes later the Stones were level.

The bench were furious that referee David Richardson had blown for a foul on Allarakahia and denied the visitors the advantage, especially with Kretzschmar in a good position with the ball at his feet in the box. But it ended up being a call that benefited the Stones as Kinsella slung over a free-kick and Freckleton deflected it past Ethan Ross. Just before that, Howes had to be alert and unconventional at the near post to keep out Olly Dyson. It proved to be a crucial save in the context of the game.

The bold Maynard continued to roll the dice, bringing on Nathan Ferguson for Dyer in a positive move. He then went for broke by chucking on Simeon Akinola for Olufela Olomola. That left the Stones slightly vulnerable at the back and it required a wonderful block from the excellent Barker and a terrific reaction save from Howes to keep the scores level.

But the Stones weren't interested in a point. They came for all three and got them in the most dramatic of fashions when Cook popped up with the winner, just like he did against Bromley. The 230 away fans went mad. They thoroughly enjoyed this one and it was another memorable away day for the Stones.

Wealdstone: Howes; Cook, Barker, Freckleton; Obiero, McGregor (Kretzschmar 64), Dyer (Ferguson 79), Charles, Kinsella; Allarakhia, Olomola (Akinola 86). Subs not used: Barrett, Mundle-Smith.

Att: 4770 (230 Wealdstone fans)

* Pictures by Jon Taffel


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page