top of page
  • Writer's pictureDec O'Reilly

Report - Wealdstone 3-0 East Thurrock United

Updated: Apr 7, 2019

Wealdstone returned to winning ways on Saturday afternoon at The Vale as they eased past East Thurrock.

A brace from the exceptional Daniel Green, along with a goal from the dynamic Simon Mensah, ensured the Stones secured a valuable three points against the Rocks in their push for the end-of-season play-offs.

Wealdstone produced the perfect start, taking the lead within 30 seconds of kick-off. David’s Pratt’s header found Green, who rifled a shot goal-bound from 25 yards; East Thurrock’s keeper Jack Giddens was unable to hold the ball, allowing it to roll through his legs, handing the Stones an early lead.

The Stones came close to doubling their advantage in the 7th minute, as the lively Jeffrey Monakana struck a shot from 30 yards that sailed just over the crossbar.

As the first half progressed, Wealdstone continued to press for another goal, with Green going agonisingly close in the 37th minute, rifling a brilliant shot from the left-hand side of the box, which was saved well by Giddens.

Monakana was in fine form all afternoon, proving an ever-present threat down the wing for the Stones. In the 40th minute, he was nearly rewarded for his efforts, but his strike was cleared on the line by Ryan Scott, to keep the Rocks in the game.

On the stroke of half-time, Allarakhia produced one of his trademark mazy runs down the left wing. After beating three East Thurrock defenders, he struck a near post shot, but Giddens pulled off a fine save.

The Stones started the second half with intent, enjoying the lion’s share of possession, as they pushed to increase their lead.

In the 59th minute, Wealdstone were duly rewarded for their persistence, as the ever-dangerous Monakana produced a fantastic defence-splitting through-ball to find Green, who clinically dispatched a half-volley across Giddens into the net.

As the second half advanced, the Stones continued to press for a third goal, in order to put the result beyond doubt. Simon Mensah, who had made an immediate impact since replacing Jake Sheppard just before half-time, produced a surging run towards the box, but was fouled by a Rocks’ defender.

The resultant free kick was curled goal-bound by Tarryn Allarakhia in the 69th minute, with Giddens only able to parry the shot. Mensah was quick to follow-up and convert for Wealdstone to take them into a commanding three-goal lead.

In the 74th minute, East Thurrock’s Amos Nasha prompted a fine save from Jonathan North, as his powerful effort was well claimed by the Stones keeper.

Wealdstone, excellently marshalled by Captain, Jerome Okimo, held firm to secure a clean sheet and a vital three points.

The Stones move up to 7th place in the National League South and house themselves in the final play-off spot. The next fixture is at Beveree Stadium against Hampton & Richmond Borough on Saturday 13th April at 3pm.

Wealdstone: North, Tyler, Grant, Smith, Okimo, Poku, Allarakhia, Monakana (Brown, 76), Pratt (Azeez, 87), Green; Sheppard (Mensah, 45+2). Subs not used: Paterson; Clark.

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee

Dan Finill pics HERE

Listen to Jamie Leacock's Post-Match Interview below.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page