top of page
  • Nicole Cho-Yee

REPORT | Wealdstone 0-0 Altrincham

Updated: Sep 17, 2023

The mid-table clash between Wealdstone and Altrincham saw spoils shared in a tight, goalless draw at the Vale.


Phil Parkinson’s side, without five key players, including talisman Regan Linney defended resolutely to secure a hard-fought point on the road against Stuart Maynard’s men.


The Stones made one change to the starting line-up, with new loan signing Kyle Smith from Millwall slotting in for the suspended Micah Obiero. The bench was also bolstered by the return of the injured Max Kretzschmar, along with Ashley Charles who was back from international duty with Grenada.


Wealdstone’s first chance came in the 12th minute when a fluid passage of play resulted in Smith’s deep cross finding Tarryn Allarakhia at the far post, but his powerful strike flew over the crossbar.


The visitors responded almost immediately from a corner as Jake Cooper rose highest at the back post with a powerful header that had to be tipped over the bar by Stones’ keeper Jed Ward.


Moments later, the Robins came close to taking the lead again when Dior Angus’ fierce strike drew another solid save from Ward.


Midway through the first half, Altrincham galvanised an opportunity through Justin Amaluzor, who cut inside from the right wing and curled a long range effort towards the top corner, which flew just wide.


End-to-end action continued as both sides looked to seize the initiative in this well-balanced encounter.


With ten minutes of the first half remaining, the Stones nearly broke the deadlock as a pinpoint ball from skipper Jack Cook found Tahvon Campbell, but Robins’ shot-stopper Ethan Ross was quick off of his line to thwart the danger.


Growing in confidence, the Stones were agonisingly close to taking the lead before the interval as Abdul Abdulmalik’s lofted cross was headed just over the crossbar by Campbell at the far post.


In the 38th minute, the Robins nearly profited from Charles Clayden being dispossessed in his own box, but Charlie Barker denied Angus with a vital block.


With three minutes of the first half left, Maynard was forced into a early substitution with top scorer Campbell departing through injury, with Sean Adarkwa brought on to lead the line.


A minute later, the visitors had the chance to finish the half in style as Angus, Justin Donawa and Chris Conn-Clarke combined smartly, with the latter released through on goal, but unable to capitalise.


Wealdstone started the second half on the front-foot as they looked to build on their momentum and open the scoring.


In the 56th minute, Abdulmalik latched onto the ball just outside the box and unleashed a powerful shot on target, but Ross was equal to the effort.


Seconds later, the lively Allarakhia nearly provided a moment of incisiveness as he surged byline and squared the ball across the goalmouth, but Adarkwa was unable to convert.


The Stones continued to play with attacking intent, with the dynamic Abdulmalik nearly opening his goal scoring account, driving a shot just wide of the near post.


In the 75th minute, Wealdstone looked like they had finally end the stalemate as Smith deftly controlled the ball at the far post and clinically fired on target, but Ross reacted with an excellent save.


With five minutes remaining, Altrincham looked to steal a goal at the death, however Conn-Clarke’s low cross was intercepted just before Angus could strike at goal.

Despite the Stones’ late rally for a goal, the Robin’s held firm to secure a valuable point and clean sheet against a strong Wealdstone outfit.

Wealdstone return to action on Tuesday evening when they travel to the Meadowbank Stadium to face Dorking Wanderers in a 7.45pm kick-off.

WEALDSTONE: Ward, Cook (c), Barker, Mundle-Smith, Smith (Barrett 88), Ferguson, Bowen, Clayden, Allarakhia, Abdulmalik (Kretzschmar 73), Campbell (Adarkwa 43).

Subs not used: Charles, Andrews.

Attendance: 1,302

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee



Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page