top of page
  • Writer's pictureWealdstone FC

Report - Hungerford Town 1 - 1 Wealdstone FC

Updated: Aug 12, 2018

Stones will be leaving Berkshire wondering how we did not grab all three points in the 1-1 draw with Hungerford Town at Bulpit Lane in our second game of the season.

David Pratt opened the scoring in the first half and from that the Stones enjoyed an array of efforts at the Crusaders’ goal, until Harvey Bradbury's penalty 16 minutes from the end salvaged a point for the hosts.

The Stones began the match second in the table after their 4-1 opening day win over Weston-super-Mare, and Bobby Wilkinson made one change, a forced one with the injured Freddie Grant replaced by Jake Sheppard at left-back.

It was Wealdstone who almost took an early lead in a subdued first half when Danny Green's 30-yard effort had to be automatically tipped over the crossbar by Jokull Andresson.

On 29 minutes, the Stones took the lead when Rhys Tyler, a summer signing from Hungerford, delivered a pinpoint cross for Pratt at the near post, his initial effort was saved by Andresson but he poked in the rebound immediately after.

Bradley Hudson-Odoi was next to test the keeper, Green beat his man and delivered a low cross to Wadah Ahmidi, he laid it off to Hudson-Odoi but Andresson denied well with his leg.

The Stones then flew out of the blocks after half time with Green orchestrating chances for Connor Stevens, Ahmidi and Pratt in the space of five minutes.

Hudson-Odoi then had two chances, the first he smashed over after being played in by Pratt and the second saw his free-kick deflect off Ian Herring and get cleared off the line by the Crusaders defence.

Hungerford were then awarded a penalty after Conor Lynch was brought down by Godfrey Poku. Bradbury stepped up and expertly dispatched low to Jonathan North's right despite the keeper guessing the right way.

Within a minute the Stones were almost back in front when Hudson-Odoi hit a low cross to Ahmidi but Andresson was out quick to thwart it at the midfielder’s feet.

Despite the Stones dominance it was Hungerford who almost snatched a late winner when James Rusby's cross was headed toward his own goal by Stevens and North produced a fine stop to tip it round the post.

The draw moves Wealdstone down to fifth place as they travel to big-spending Billericay Town on Saturday at 3PM with Stones fans hoping for a repeat of last year’s FA Trophy quarter-final heroics.

WEALDSTONE: North, Tyler, Sheppard, Stevens, Okimo, Poku, White (Bubb 78), Ahmidi (Lench 78), Pratt, Green (Monakana 78), Hudson-Odoi.

Subs not used: Mambo, Brown.

Goal: Pratt (29)

By Chris Woods


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page