top of page
  • Writer's pictureWealdstone FC

Report - Chesham United 3 - 2 Wealdstone

Wealdstone travelled to The Meadow to face Southern League Premier Division South side, Chesham United, as they continued their pre-season preparations.

First half goals from Chesham United’s Billy Adcock and Sandro da Costa, along with an unfortunate own goal from defender Connor Stevens, secured victory for the Generals; as second half strikes from Sanchez Watt and Billy Clifford proved only to be conciliatory for the Stones.

Manager Dean Brennan continued to rotate his squad, in order to ensure that certain players were able to benefit from more match minutes, as they worked towards their individual preseason programmes.

Both sides observed a minute’s silence before kick-off in memory of Chesham United player Matt Sinclair, who sadly passed away over the weekend.

The match started evenly, as both sides tried to settle into the rhythm of the game; however, it was the Generals who drew first blood in the 9th minute. Skilful play by Romario Hart won a freekick in a dangerous position on the edge-of-the-box for Chesham United.

Adcock stepped up to produce a fantastic effort, curling the ball over the wall and into the top left corner, allowing the Generals to take the lead.

The remainder of the first half saw possession shared between the two sides, with Wealdstone unable to produce any notable efforts on goal to test Chesham United’s trialist goalkeeper.

On the stroke of half-time, the Generals doubled their lead through da Costa. Stones goalkeeper Dylan Paterson initially producing a great save from Eoin Casey’s powerful goal bound strike, but the ball fell to da Costa, who cut inside to clinically dispatch past Paterson, low into the left corner of the net.

The second half continued in a frustrating manner for the Stones as they were unable to galvanise any concrete opportunities to reduce the two-goal deficit.

In the 63rd minute, Brennan made seven substitutions for Wealdstone, as they looked to salvage something from the game. These changes made an immediate impact for the Stones as Jacob Mendy surged down the left wing, squaring the ball to Watt, whose strike was well-saved by the Generals’ goalkeeper Carl Pearce.

As the Stones continued to gain ascendancy and mount further attacks, they were duly rewarded with a goal in the 74th minute. Superb work from Mendy on the left-wing found Danny Green, whose fierce effort hit the post. Watt was quickest to react for Wealdstone, following up to convert past Pearce from inside the six-yard box.

Against the run of play, the Stones fell behind further as a Chesham United corner was inadvertently diverted by defender Stevens into his own net, in the 84th minute.

Captain Jerome Okimo was as influential as ever in rallying his players during the closing stages of the match; producing some surging runs from left back as Wealdstone looked to further reduce the deficit.

A comprehensive spell of possession, comprising of some excellent build up play from the Stones, resulted in Green laying-off the ball to Clifford. On the stroke of full-time, Clifford then curled a stunning effort from the edge-of-the-box into the top right corner, past Pearce.

As referee Alan Cresswell blew the final whistle, it marked a disappointing evening for Wealdstone, as they were narrowly defeated by Chesham United.

The Stones return to action at the Vale on Saturday 20th July at 3:00pm, with another pre-season fixture against Watford U23s.

Wealdstone: Paterson (Ringer, 71), Efete (Arnold, 63), Sellers (Okimo, 63), Saunders (Clifford, 63), Coker, Offuso (Stevens, 63), Richards (Green, 63), Cook (Smith, 63), Watt, Sheppard, Lewis (Mendy, 63).

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee

Match pictures by Dan Finill can be viewed HERE


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page