top of page
  • Writer's pictureWealdstone FC

Report - Billericay Town 1 - 0 Wealdstone

Updated: Oct 5, 2018

Stones paid a heavy price for a dramatic penalty save early on in this evenly balanced and closely fought encounter at the AGP Arena on Saturday with both sides going into the clash unbeaten.

Stones could have turned the ultimate outcome of this match hugely in their favour when they were awarded a clear spot kick after only 14 minutes after Dean Inman fouled in the area. Stevenage loanee confidently stepped up the take the penalty but his effort was well read by Alan Julian who got down to his right to comfortably make the save.

Prior to the penalty Stones had looked the better and more enterprising side and attacked with real threat, with Bradley Hudson-Odoi particularly causing problems for the expensively assembled and powerful home side.

Billericay’s talismanic striker Jake Robinson was always going to be a big threat the Stones back line and he shot wide of the mark soon after his side hit back soon after the missed penalty chance.

Perhaps inevitably the Blues seized a chance and it came on 32 minutes. Robinson picked up Danny Waldren’s through ball and confidently stroked the ball past and exposed Jon North to take the lead against the run of play.

Into the second half and Stones found the home back line a hard nut to crack but kept plugging away. Hudson-Odoi came off injured and was replaced by striker Bradley Bubb whom had destroyed the Blues in the FA Trophy the previous season and he immediately looked lively. On 60 minutes Freddie Grant was brought down right on the edge of the box but hit the resultant free kick over the bar before a dangerous break from Joe Kizzi ended with a shot that North expertly tipped onto the bar with Adam Coombs very close to latching onto the rebound.

To their credit Stones piled forward in an attempt to peg back the home side and created several good chances to level. The best scoring opportunity fell to the ever busy David Pratt who saw his low strike confidently dealt with by substitute keeper Louis Wells with White having earlier seen a couple of glancing headers go wide.

So Stones left Essex without any points and were left to rue their missed chances but will be again heartened by a strong performance against the title favourites at this early stage of the campaign.

We are back in action tomorrow night when Woking are the visitors to The Vale kick off 19:45

WEALDSTONE: North, Tyler, Grant, Stevens, Okimo, Poku, Monakana, Ahmidi, Pratt, White, Hudson-Odoi. Subs used: Bubb, Green, Mambo. Not used: Wilson, Clark.

Photos © Geoff Smith HERE


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page