top of page
  • Nicole Cho-Yee

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 3-2 Maidenhead United

Updated: Jan 2, 2023

Wealdstone earned a well-deserved victory against Maidenhead United at the Vale this afternoon, scoring three fantastic goals to deny a spirited fight back from the Magpies.


A brace from Nathan Ferguson, along with a goal from talisman Olufela Olomola ensured the Stones edged a thrilling Boxing Day contest - cancelling out Emile Acquah’s first half double that had clawed the Magpies back into the match.


Stuart Maynard made two changes to the side that drew with Bromley in Wealdstone’s last fixture, with Alex Dyer and Sam Habergham replacing Ashley Charles and Lewis Kinsella in the starting line-up.


Before kick off, Jack Cook was presented with his Vanarama Player of the Month award for November, after a string of excellent performances.


The Stones made the perfect start as Ferguson put them into an early lead when he rocketed a shot into the top corner past goalkeeper Dan Gyollai from the edge of the box, after just nine minutes of play.


Wealdstone then doubled their advantage in style 20 minutes later when top goalscorer Olomola clinically fired past Gyollai into the bottom corner after a neat back-heel from Ferguson.


Maynard’s side seemed to be in the ascendency and cruising through the first half, however Alan Devonshire’s men were handed a lifeline when Acquah pounced in the box to head past Sam Howes ten minutes before the interval.


On the stroke of half time, the Magpies drew level as Acquah popped up again to fire home a second and ensure both teams were all square at half time.


Maidenhead United nearly drew first blood in the second half when danger man Acquah volleyed towards goal in the 48thminute, but Howes reacted with a smart save to tip the ball over the crossbar.  


Three minutes later, the Stones nearly forged ahead when Tarryn Allarakhia teed up Olomola on the right-hand side of the box;however the number nine’s effort flew narrowly wide.


Wealdstone’s persistence reaped rewards in the 57th minute when they seized the advantage in superb fashion. Dyer picked out Max Kretzschmar with a pinpoint ball and he threaded through Ferguson, who coolly slotted home past Gyollai to net his brace.


The Stones were close to stretching their lead further ten minutes later when the lively Allarakhia drilled a shot agonisingly wide of the far post.


Despite the visitors’ efforts, Wealdstone held firm to secure all three points and move up to ninth in the National League table.


Wealdstone return to action on New Year’s Day when they travel to York Road to face Maidenhead United again in a 3PM kick-off.

WEALDSTONE: Howes, Barrett, Cook (c), Freckleton, Habergham, Dyer (Charles 78), Ferguson, McGregor (Obiero 80), Kretzschmar (Barker 85), Allarakhia, Olomola.

Subs not used: Negraru, Mundle-Smith.

Attendance: 1,452 (56 Maidenhead supporters)


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page