top of page
  • Nicole Cho-Yee

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 2-1 Maidstone United

Updated: Mar 8, 2023

Wealdstone secured back-to-back wins as they defeated Maidstone at Grosvenor Vale this evening to move within five points of a play-off position.


Goals from Jack Cook and Corie Andrews propelled the Stones to victory, with Josh Shonibare’s strike proving only consolatory.

Stuart Maynard made one change to the side that cruised past Altrincham on Saturday, with Sunny Lo-Everton replacing Dom Hutchinson in the starting line-up.

The Stones made the perfect start, assuming the lead within six minutes of kick off as skipper Cook latched onto the ball inside the box and coolly slotted past Dan Barden to notch his fourth goal of the season.

Wealdstone doubled their lead in the 24th minute as in formBrooklyn Ilunga whipped in a pinpoint cross for Andrews to convert home for his second goal in as many matches.

As the first half progressed, the Stones continued to dictateproceedings and they were close to extending their advantage in the 30th minute when Cook found space on the edge of the box and dragged his strike just wide of the target.

Wealdstone’s dominance continued and they came close to netting another goal, ten minutes from the interval, when Ilunga’s dangerous cross found Lo-Everton, but his first-time effort was denied by Barden.

Maynard’s men returned from the interval keen to bolster their advantage and hot-shot Micah Obiero nearly advanced their lead further, unleashing a powerful strike which was had to be smartly saved by Barden.

Against the run of play, Maidstone profited from a counter attack to reduce the deficit as Roarie Deacon chipped the ball over Sam Howes and Shonibare pounced at the back post to slide the ball home in the 51st minute.

The Mighty Stones (the home side!) were galvanised by the goal and began to find more rhythm in their passing as they probed for an equaliser.

However, it was Wealdstone that came close to scoring the next goal on the hour mark as Max Kretzschmar crossed in a teasing ball to Andrews at the far post, but his header was whiskers wide of the target.

In the 68th minute, Maidstone looked like they had levelled when James Alabi was through on goal, but Howes reacted with a superb save to preserve the score line.

With eight minutes remaining, Wealdstone had the chance to put the result beyond doubt when Barden spilled Kretzschmar’s cross straight into the path of Hutchinson, but Maidstone’s goalkeeper recovered brilliantly to thwart the effort.

A minute later, Ashley Charles nearly grabbed a late goal with a peach of a free kick from the edge of the box which just flew wide.

Despite five minutes of stoppage time, the Stones held firm tonullify Maidstone and secure all three points with another victory.

Wealdstone return to action on Saturday afternoon when they travel to the Plainmoor Stadium to face Torquay United in a 3pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Howes, Barker, Cook (c), Habergham, Ilunga, Charles, Dyer, Kretzschmar (Ferguson 90), Lo-Everton (Hutchinson 62), Obiero, Andrews (Olomola 89).

Subs not used: Barrett, Whittaker.

Attendance: 1,102 (including 60 Maidstone supporters)

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page