top of page
  • Nicole Cho-Yee

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 3-1 York City

Wealdstone came through comfortable winners in a feisty encounter with York City at Grosvenor Vale.

Goals from Corie Andrews, Tarrelle Whittaker and Tarryn Allarakhia swept aside the Minstermen, with Adam Crookes scoring a late consolation goal for City.

Stuart Maynard made one change from the side that was defeated by Wrexham last week, as Whittaker made his first start for the Stones, in place of the suspended Max Kretzschmar.

The visitors were presented with the first big chance of the match after just seven minutes when Manny Duku beat the Wealdstone’s offside trap to latch onto Olly Dyson’s through ball, but captain Jack Cook recovered to thwart the striker’s shot.

Wealdstone enjoyed the lion’s share of possession during the early exchanges; however they were unable to profit from any of their half-chances.

In the 26th minute, the Stones were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position on the edge of the box, but Whittaker’s low, driven effort was straight at City’s shot-stopper, Ryan Whitley.

On the half an hour mark, the Minstermen had another opportunity to break the deadlock as a Dan Pybus’ corner fell to Max Kouogun, but the defender scuffed his shot and the ball dribbled through safely to Sam Howes.

The Stones finally seized the initiative in the 36th minute when Brooklyn’s Ilunga’s teasing cross was volleyed home by Andrews in style to notch his first goal for the club.

As the second half progressed, the game became more open, with end-to-end action, and the visitors nearly profited from a counter attack as Ollie Tanner’s whipped cross was met by skipper Paddy McLaughlin’s bullet header, however Howes responded fine save.

A minute shy of half time, Wealdstone were close to doubling their lead when Whittaker slipped through Allarakhia, but the forward’s drilled effort whistled just past the far post.

The Stones returned from the break in a galvanised fashion and nearly extended their advantage within two minutes of the restart. Scorer Andrews broke through, but Whitley was quick off of his line to save the initial effort, before Whittaker narrowly missed the target with his rebound.

Wealdstone’s added impetus proved fruitful as Whittaker doubled their lead on the hour mark, drilling a fierce strike inside the near post from the edge of the area to bag his second goal for the Stones in as many games.

Substitute and top goalscorer Olufela Olomola made an instant impact; surging down the right wing and arrowing an effort towards the far corner of the net which was deflected just wide.

Two minutes from time, a comfortable victory for the Stones was sewn up when the lively Ilunga picked out Allarakhia, who converted past Whitley with his second attempt.

Deep into stoppage time, York City did manage to score a late consolatory goal as Crookes tapped home from close range after Howes parried Alex Hurst’s strike.

Wealdstone return to action on Tuesday evening when they travel to the Technique Stadium to face Chesterfield in a 7.45PM kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Howes, Barker, Cook (c), Freckleton, Ilunga, Charles, Dyer, Allarakhia, Obiero, Whittaker (Ferguson 80), Andrews (Olomola 64).

Subs not used: Barrett, McGregor, Hutchinson.

Attendance: 1,703

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page