top of page
  • Writer's pictureWealdstone FC

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 1-2 Wrexham

Updated: Feb 20, 2022

Promotion chasing Wrexham mounted a dramatic late comeback at The Vale to defeat ten-man Wealdstone and clinch all three points on the road.

Jordan Davies’ 88th minute equaliser cancelled out Rhys Browne’s 72nd penalty, while Reece Hall-Johnson’s 95th minute strike snatched victory at the death for Phil Parkinson’s men.

Stuart Maynard made only one change to the starting line-up that beat Barnet in style last week, with David Sesay slotting in for the injured Nik Tavares. New loan signing Charles Clayden from Charlton Athletic was named to the bench.

The Dragons first sight of goal came in the second minute when Thomas O’Connor’s shot was dragged past the post. Davies followed suit four minutes later, with his acrobatic effort also dropping wide of the target.

The first half proved a rather scrappy affair, with the Dragons enjoying the lion’s share of possession and chances.

Wealdstone gradually grew into the match, with Charlton Athletic loanee Aaron Henry fizzing a dangerous ball across the face of the goal in the 21st minute, which just evaded his teammates.

Wrexham’s next foray came in the 28th minute when Luke Young fired from range, but the skippers’ effort flew just wide.The visitors’ best chance of the half came a minute before the interval when Hall-Johnson struck the post from an acute angle.

After a goalless first half, both teams returned from the break with added impetus.

The Stones generated a chance straight from kick off, with Josh Umerah turning his defender and firing on target, but Rob Lainton produced a solid save to deny the top goalscorer.

The Dragons were thwarted by a super save from George Wickens in the 48th minute, with the home side’s goalkeeper producing a vital stop from a one-on-one with captain Young.

A moment later, the Welsh side came close to scoring again as Aaron Hayden rose highest to head O’Connor’s corner just wide.

Parkinson’s men continued to press for an opener and nearly profited from a goal-mouth scramble in the 60th minute, however the Stones were able to eventually clear their lines.

Maynard introduced the talented Browne for Wealdstone and within ten minutes he won his side a penalty after being brought down in the box by Lainton after an exquisite through ball from Charlie Cooper. The striker duly stepped up to coolly convert from the spot and send his side into the lead.

The Dragons were quick to respond as Daniel Jarvis’ effort was expertly headed off the line by defensive stalwart Connor McAvoy, two minutes later.

As the Stones edged towards a monumental victory, their fortunes changed as Jack Cook saw red after second yellow card for an apparent handball. Wrexham instantly profited from their numerical advantage as Davies latched onto a rebounded free kick to fire into the top corner.

Wealdstone still looked to have secured a credible draw; however in the penultimate minute of stoppage time, Hall-Johnson’s shot was deflected past Wickens to complete a late fight back.

The Stones return to action on Tuesday evening when they travel to Damson Park to face Solihull Moors in a 7.45pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Wickens, McAvoy, Cook, Okimo (c), Sesay (Clayden 62), Henry, Ferguson, Cooper, Mundle-Smith, Elito (Browne 62 (Mascoll 87)), Umerah.

Subs not used: Charles, Dyer.

Attendance: 1,901

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page