top of page
  • Writer's pictureWealdstone FC

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 1-2 Chesterfield

Updated: Apr 10, 2022

Wealdstone were narrowly edged by Chesterfield at Grosvenor Vale this afternoon after pegging back the play-off chasers in the second half.

Two cracking goals either side of half-time from Jamie Grimes and Joe Quigley sealed victory for the Spireites, with Josh Umerah scoring for the Stones.

Stuart Maynard made two changes to the starting line-up that drew with Maidenhead United midweek as David Sesay and Umerah returned for the Stones.

Paul Cook’s side registered their opening chance of the match within five minutes of kick off as Grimes rose highest to meet Jeff King’s free kick, but the defender could only head his effort wide.

Three minutes later, the Stones generated their first goal scoring opportunity themselves; Rhys Browne cut inside and fired an effort at Scott Loach, which was well-held by the Chesterfield shot-stopper.

The Spireites were next to test the goalkeeper as Jim Kellerman fired from the edge of the area, but George Wickens was equal to the strike.

The visitors’ next sight of goal came in the 18th minute when Grimes’ deep cross was headed back across goal by Tom Denton, but Liam Mandeville directed his effort wide.

Wealdstone came close to seizing the initiative three minutes later - David Sesay cut inside and fired just wide of the target.

As the half progressed, the visitors began to dominate, with King’s shot from the edge of the area flying narrowly over the crossbar.

Ten minutes before half-time, the Spireites deservedly broke the deadlock in style; Denton nodded the ball to captain Gavin Gunning, who teed up Grimes to smash a half-volley into the top corner past Wickens.

The Stones returned from the interval with added impetus and drew level within seven minutes of the restart. Ferguson picked out Clayden on the left wing; the Charlton loanee then surged past Tyrone Williams and crossed to Umerah at the far post, with the top goal scorer poking the ball home past Loach.

Chesterfield responded well, dialling up the pressure to assume the lead again in superb fashion. Asante held the ball up for substitute Quigley to rocket a shot from the edge of the area straight into the top corner on the 68th minute mark.

With fifteen minutes to go, Quigley looked like he was going to extend the visitors’ advantage further as he picked up the ball and drove forward before firing an effort that just missed the target.

Wealdstone nearly found a late equaliser in the 85th minute; Clayden’s cross found Jamie Mascoll free at the back post, but the substitute could only fire over the crossbar from close range.

The Stones had their second bite of the cherry one minute from time as Loach spilled Aaron Henry’s fierce free kick; howeversubstitute Ira Jackson’s rebound was hit wide.

Wealdstone return to action on Good Friday, 15th April, when they travel to Roots Hall to face Southend United, in a 3pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Wickens, McAvoy, Okimo (c), Mundle-Smith, Sesay (Mascoll 83), Charles (Jackson 79), Henry, Ferguson, Clayden, Browne (Elito 72), Umerah.

Subs not used: Tavares, Dyer.

Attendance: 1,337

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page