top of page
  • Nicole Cho-Yee

MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 0-4 Chesterfield

Wealdstone’s winning streak came to an abrupt end this evening as they were comprehensively defeated a dynamic Chesterfield at Grosvenor Vale.

A penalty from Paul McCallum, alongside goals from Liam Mandeville and Ryan Cloclough, as well as an own goal from Sam Habergham, sealed a comfortable victory for Paul Cook’s fourth placed side.

Stuart Maynard made one change to the side that beat Torquay United on Saturday with a late winner, as Sunny Lo-Everton replaced the injured Max Kretzschmar in the starting line-up.

The Stones were out of the traps quickly, crafting a scoring opportunity within the first minute of play when Alex Dyer’s smart through ball found Sonny Lo-Everton, who squared to Dom Hutchinson, but his shot was well-saved by Ross Fitzsimons.


The Spireites responded instantly, galvanising their own chance two minutes later when Mandeville slipped Andrew Dallas through on goal, however the striker blazed his shot over the crossbar.


Unfortunately, Maynard was forced to make an early substitution in the 19th minute when Jeff King clashed with the lively Brooklyn Ilunga leaving the winger injured and unable to continue.


As play resumed, Wealdstone produced a moment of incisiveness in the 25th minute as Hutchinson threaded through Corie Andrews, but Fitzsimons was quick off of his line to thwart the danger on the edge of his area.


Wealdstone continued to press for an opener, with new signing Joel Andrews from Notts County whipping a teasing cross to the far post for hot-shot Micah Obiero, who seemed to be impeded, but referee Jacob Miles waved play-on.


However, it was Chesterfield who broke the deadlock in the 34thminute when Mandeville was brought down in the box by Dyer and McCallum clinically despatched past Sam Howes from the penalty spot.


Three minutes into injury time, the Spireites doubled their lead as substitute Joe Quigley fed Colclough on the left-hand side and his cross was bundled home by Mandeville.


Moments later, the Stones had another penalty appeal turned down by the referee when Andrews broke through the visitors’ defence and was brought down by Ash Palmer inside the box; while Charlie Barker’s rebound was subsequently cleared off of the line by captain Jamie Grimes.


Chesterfield returned from the interval with added impetus and duly trebled their advantage in the 58th minute when Quigley found Cloclough out wide with a pinpoint ball, and his first-time cross was diverted into the net by Habergham.


Despite the introduction of Olufela Olomola and Nathan Ferguson, the Stones were unable to galvanise any clear-cut chances to reduce the deficit.


Wealdstone’s fortunes took a further dent in the 77th minute when skipper Jack Cook was dispossessed by Cloclough, allowing the winger to coolly chip the ball over Howes from 30 yards.


Wealdstone will regroup ready for their next match as they return to action this Saturday afternoon when they travel to the Glanford Park to face Scunthorpe United in a 3pm kick off.

WEALDSTONE: Howes, Barker, Cook (c), Habergham, Ilunga (Taylor 19), Charles, Dyer, Lo-Everton, Hutchinson (Olomola 57), Obiero, Andrews (Ferguson 70).

Subs not used: Barrett, Whittaker.

Attendance: 1,302 (including 244 Chesterfield supporters)

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page