top of page
  • Nicole Cho-Yee

MATCH REPORT | Maidenhead United 0-0 Wealdstone

Updated: Jan 2, 2023

Wealdstone earned a credible point against Maidenhead United at York Road this afternoon, securing a draw against the Magpies to solidify their position of ninth in the National League.


The goalless draw saw the Stones gain four points out of a possible six over the festive period, while notching their sixth clean sheet of the season to currently reside one point off of the playoffs.


Stuart Maynard made one change to the side that defeated Maidenhead United in fine style on Boxing Day, with Ashley Charles replacing Max Kretzschmar in the starting line-up.


The Magpies registered the first chance of the match within one minute when Koby Arthur fired straight at Sam Howes from inside the box.


The Stones came close themselves in the 7th minute when Miguel Freckleton’s pinpoint diagonal ball was controlled effortlessly by Giovanni McGregor, who then crossed for the excellent Tarryn Allarakhia, whose effort trickled just wide of the post.


After quarter of an hour, Alex Dyer, who has been in impressive form this season, nearly provided a moment of incisiveness; shrugging off two Maidenhead defenders on the left wing and whipping in a dangerous cross to top goal scorer Olufela Olomola, who rose to head towards the top corner, but Dan Gyollai produced a fantastic acrobatic save to deny the striker.  


Midway through the first half, the home side were close toscoring when Charlee Adams’ teasing delivery from a free kick flashed across the face of the goal, just evading captain Will De Havilland’s head.


On the half an hour mark, De Havilland made contact with Cole Kpekawa’s chipped cross, but his effort was comfortably saved by Sam Howes.


As the half drew to a close, the Stones continued to dominate possession and dictate the tempo of play, but were unable to capitalise on their chances.


The Magpies returned from the interval with added impetus after Alan Devonshire’s half time team talk, coming close to breaking the deadlock in the 57th minute when Remy Clerima blazed his half-volley just over the cross bar from close range.


As the half progressed, the game began to become more open, with end-to-end action, as both sides looked to seize the initiative.


The hosts came close again in the 60th minute when Ashley Nathaniel-George cut inside, but his strike was straight at Howes. Then, two minutes later, Kpekawa saw his header fly past thepost.


In the 83rd minute, lively substitute Micah Obiero looked like he had provided the catalyst for the Stones’ late goal when he surged forward and hung a cross up for Ferguson, but Kpekawa produced a vital headed clearance for the Magpies.


Devonshire’s men nearly stole all three points at the death when one minute from the stroke of regulation time, Sam Barratt latched onto a cross and fired just wide.


Despite six additional minutes, neither side could convert, meaning that the spoils were shared on New Year’s Day.


Wealdstone return to action on Wednesday evening when they travel to the Melbourne Stadium to face Chelmsford City in the FA Trophy Third Round in a 7.30pm kick-off.

WEALDSTONE: Howes, Barrett, Cook (c), Freckleton (Mundle-Smith 83), Habergham, Charles, Dyer, McGregor (Obiero 70), Ferguson, Allarakhia, Olomola.

Subs not used: Negraru, Wilson-Braithwaite, Barker.

Attendance: 1,635

Report by Nicole Cho-Yee


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page