Welling Utd 0 – 1 Wealdstone

Welling Utd  0 – 1 Wealdstone
WellingWelling United
Vanarama National League South

0 - 1

KO: 15:00 | Sat 25th Feb ’17

Wealdstone ground out another ‘ugly’ away victory for the second week in succession, this time at lower mid table Welling United who had entered this National League South clash in decent form on home turf.

Stones are now five matches unbeaten, including last Tuesday’s Semi-Final Middlesex Senior Cup win over Hendon on penalty kicks.

This recent run, whilst hugely welcome in terms of results, cannot mask the continuing problems of attacking impotency but full credit must be given to the much improved capability of the defence that has stabilised with the return of Tom Hamblin and now further strengthened with the signing of left back Ryan Sellers and the physical strength and abilities in the midfield of  loanee Aryan Tajbakhsh

Much in the goal scoring and creative department seems to continue hang on the return of injured duo Eliot Benyon and Matty Whichelow which must surely be soon; they have now been absent for nigh on two months.

As ever, Wealdstone owed much of their clean sheet to keeper Jonathan North, who made two outstanding first-half saves.

Stones only goal – and the winner – came from former Welling midfielder Ricky Wellard, who headed home at the far post on 62 minutes from a Hamblin cross.

Wealdstone had three good chances in the first 14 minutes. Edward Oshodi fired wide, Elliott Godfrey’s volley went over and the Wings Matt Fish did well to block a good effort from youngster Joe White.

After finally settling, Welling started to create openings of their own. Sam Hatton’s 20-yard free-kick was superbly turned away by North.

North then made an even better save nine minutes before half-time to prevent Danny Waldren’s long-range effort finding the top corner. Welling’s best openings came from the wide play of Rhys Murrel-Williamson. On 66 minutes, the on-loan Dulwich player crossed for Harry Crawford, who fluffed in front of goal. With 18 minutes remaining, Murrel-Williamson pulled back for Vas Karagiannis, who dragged his effort well wide.

Wealdstone, with 4 minutes of added time to see out, defended well to ensure that they came away with all the points. They now face an inconsistent St Albans City side, away, on Tuesday evening who will be desperate to get back into play -off contention.

Wealdstone: North, Oshodi, Brown, Sellers, Hamblin, Godfrey, Green, Cox, White (McGleish 88mins), Wellard (Wright 84mins), Tajbakhsh (Mavila 86mins). Subs not used: Wright, Parker, Walker.

Alan Palmer pictures HERE
WFC Instagram HERE