Wealdstone 5 – 0 Bishop’s Stortford

Wealdstone 5 – 0 Bishop’s Stortford
Vanarama National League South

5 - 0

Bishop'sBishop's Stortford
KO: 15:00 | Mon 17th Apr ’17
Match Sponsor(s): ProKit UK
Ball Sponsor(s): Peter Edwards

Wealdstone emphatically disposed of relegated Bishop’s Stortford in a 5-0 drubbing at Grosvenor Vale on Easter Monday.

Stones had five different scorers, Eddie Oshodi and Dan Fitchett had Wealdstone two ahead after five minutes before Jonny Wright capped a man of the match performance with a goal, Danny Green scored a spectacular 30-yard half-volley and Elliot Benyon returned to the score sheet at the death.

Gordon Bartlett made only one change from the side that drew 1-1 with Hampton & Richmond Borough, Joe White returned to the side in place of Elliott Godfrey.

After 46 seconds the Stones had the lead, Wright picked out Oshodi with a low cross, his touch took him past Rian Bray and his second was slotted past Richard Walton.

Five minutes in the Stones were 2-0 up. White picked out Wright in acres of space out wide, this put him through on goal and ‘unselfishly’ he scuffed his shot into the path of Fitchett who tapped in.

Stones were nearly three ahead on the 10 minute mark. Wright nodded a diving header toward goal from a Green corner, which Walton stopped on the line to the calls of players and fans alike who thought the ball had crossed the line, but referee Elliott Kaye was unconvinced.

Tom Hamblin struck the woodwork after half hour. Green whipped in a free kick which, the defender rose highest and arrowed a header toward goal but it came off the post and was cleared.

Wright grabbed a deserve goal 11 minutes into the second half. Matty Whichelow played him the ball in a wide position, he seemed to prepare for a cross but instead placed an excellent shot into the far bottom corner.

Despite Wealdstone’s dominance the visitors almost grabbed a goal. Evans Kouassi cut inside and placed a cross to Sam Ford, Jonathan North was beaten but Ciaron Brown got across quick enough to block his goal bound effort.

Benyon was introduced on 71 minutes and he almost returned to the score sheet just six minutes after coming on. Green whipped in a free kick and Benyon headed over from just two yards out.

On 88 minutes Green scored the pick of the bunch. Fitchett headed a ball down to the midfielder and on the bounce he smashed it past Walton into the top corner from 30-yards out.

There was still time to add to Bishop’s Stortford’s woes. Oshodi made a forward run playing a one-two with Whichelow before crossing to Benyon at the far post who nodded home the easiest of finishes.

With Poole Town and Hungerford Town being denied a place in the play-offs subject to appeals, the Stones moved to one point behind the next best team Hampton after they lost 3-1 to Dartford making Saturday’s clash against Hungerford a potentially very important game indeed.

WEALDSTONE: North, Oshodi, Sellers, Brown, Hamblin (Goulding 46), Green, Wright (Mavila 71), Cox, Fitchett, White (Benyon 71), Whichelow Unused subs: Hunt, Godfrey

William Hill MoM – Jonny Wright