Wealdstone 0 – 0 Whitehawk

Wealdstone 0 – 0 Whitehawk
Vanarama National League South

0 - 0

KO: 19:45 | Mon 13th Feb ’17
Match Sponsor(s): The Guild
Ball Sponsor(s): (1) Toby Jackson

It would be easy to report that Wealdstone have somehow lost their way this season and that this was beyond doubt on a Monday evening when they were pitted against a Hawks side equally bereft of goal scoring ideas and the apparent inability to string more than three consecutive passes together without loss of possession.

Effort and sweat on the park is certainly not lacking but shorn of their top goal scorer and the wide creative abilities of Matt Whichelow, Stones have, for the time being at least, taken a step backwards in order to find a new way forward following several heavy defeats. Two consecutive draws could be construed as a start on which to re-build the season but it is plainly hard going at present. But that is football, and, as someone commented after the game ‘We’ve all seen far worse’ and we have, but we have also come to expect more. Expectation though seldom meets reality and frustration then becomes the name of the game.

On loan youngsters, Joe White and Josh Walker will naturally take time to bed into the physicality of the men’s game but both could not be faulted for energy and enthusiasm in an unchanged starting line up from Saturday’s stalemate with Oxford City.

As for the details, Stones actually made a bright start with Walker making a decent run at goal and then a free kick – won by White – was easily collected by Hawks keeper Tom Stewart.

The visitors then made a foray forward and a chance for Chris Scales was charged down by Stones improving defence with Tom Hamblin and David Hunt forming a good partnership centrally.

Whitehawk’s previously dangerous striker Danny Mills, looking a shadow of his former self, did present what little threat his side possessed and he went close on 19 minutes .

Play then became increasingly insipid from both sides with creative play from the midfield areas at a premium.

Stones best effort came when Ricky Wellard volleyed just wide of the upright a few minutes before the break.

The home side tried hard to up the tempo early doors of the second period but this fizzled out despite the best efforts of the home fans singing at the soon to be re-named Bulla end. Omar Koroma entered the fray and drew few admirers when he had a rare opportunity for a clear run on goal but the phalanx of  the comedy of errors had unfortunately prepossessed the player.

Johnny Wright came on as a further substitute and gave rise to some hope of a breakthrough but on the night this was as unlikely as the UK re-entering the EU but it may possibly have provided entertainment for the Norwegian and German football tourists in the crowd of 651

Bottom of the table Margate beckons on Saturday. We go again.

Wealdstone: North, Oshodi, Mavila, Hunt, Hamblin, Godfrey, Green, Cox, White, Wellard, Walker. Subs used: Wright, Koroma. Not used: Goulding, McLeod-Urquhart, Parker

Alan Palmer Pictures HERE

WFC Instagram HERE