Report – Wealdstone 4 – 1 Poole Town

Report – Wealdstone 4 – 1 Poole Town
Vanarama National League South

4 - 1

PoolePoole Town
KO: 19:45 | Mon 11th Sep ’17

Rolling Stones gather no moss, and Wealdstone carried on the momentum from Saturday’s 3-0 victory over Bognor Regis Town with a 4-1 win against Poole Town at Grosvenor Vale on Monday night.

Question marks were raised over fitness after Stones’ impressive performance at East Thurrock United last week was ruined by a 5-1 thrashing at Weston-super-Mare just three days later; with Bobby Wilkinson’s style demanding high energy for large periods.

However, Wilkinson mainly stuck with the side that impressively beat Bognor on Saturday, making one change with Josh Hill replacing Ciaron Brown.

And three goals in the final seven minutes of the first half put any fitness worries to bed with a double from Matty Whichelow and a solitary Abobaker Eisa strike.

Warren Bentley scored against his former Hungerford boss Wilkinson to keep the second half interesting but Dan Fitchett sealed the game just before stoppage time was announced.

Despite the scoreline it was the visitors who had the better chances in an even opening half hour. Portsmouth loanee Jez Bedford flashed a shot wide of the goal inside three minutes and Jack Dickson forced Jonathan North into a smart one-on-one save.

Wealdstone gave the visitors their first sign of scoring on 35 minutes when Whichelow crossed to an unmarked Fitchett who headed wide with the goal gaping.

Three minutes later Whichelow opened the scoring. Ryan Sellers played a ball to Whichelow who took advantage of a slip from Lewis Lindsay to pick his spot and fire past Nick Hutchings low to the keeper’s left.

Two minutes later Whichelow scored a near identical strike, however this time he despatched a low effort to Hutchings’ right.

Eisa grabbed a third on 44 minutes. The winger showed tenacity to chase after a deep corner, he turned and cut back into the box, beating Corby Moore and smashing a low effort past Hutchings.

The Stones hit the crossbar 11 minutes into the second half. Danny Green swung a corner in only for Jamie Whisken to flick a header backward with the woodwork sparing his blushes.

On 62 minutes the Dolphins pulled themselves back into the game. Bentley latched onto a long free-kick, shrugged off Eisa and smashed an effort off of Hill and into the goal.

Wealdstone weathered heavy Poole pressure with their best chance coming from an Abdulai Baggie free-kick which just flashed wide of the goal.

And Fitchett won the game on 90 minutes after sub Stephane Ngamvoulou turned his man from a throw-in and played in Fitchett who slotted past Hutchings to give the Stones a more flattering home record and push them up into 13th in the table.

WEALDSTONE: North, Oshodi, Sellers, Hill, Day, Wellard (Ngamvoulou 70), Whichelow, Okimo, Fitchett, Green (Godfrey 89), Eisa (O’Brien 70). Subs not used: Benyon, Osei.

Goals: Whichelow (38, 40), Eisa (44), Fitchett (90).

By Chris Woods

Match Pictures by Freddie Patmore HERE