Hendon 1 – 3 Wealdstone (Penalties – 0-0 after 90 mins)

Hendon 1 – 3 Wealdstone (Penalties – 0-0 after 90 mins)
Middlesex Senior Cup


KO: 19:45 | Tue 21st Feb ’17

Wealdstone secured a place in the Middlesex Senior Cup final on May 6th with a 3-1 penalty shoot-out win over Hendon at Silver Jubilee Park after the two sides played out a 0-0 stalemate over 90 minutes.

Jonathan North was the hero saving three of Hendon’s four spot kicks including efforts from former Stones, Matt Ball and James Hammond.

Again it was a similar story to Stones latest results with an impressive, commanding defensive display let down by an inability to create chances in the final third. The Ryman Premier League hosts also suffered from similar problems during the match.

It was a fast-paced start from both teams with the 3G pitch seeming to suit the Stones style of play. Aryan Tajbakhsh had an early opportunity to make it two goals in two games when he struck an effort just over Tom Lovelock’s goal.

The Greens then had a penalty appeal waved away by the lenient referee when David Hunt barged Geo Craig in the box.

But as the half progressed the game died away as both sides lacked that killer final ball and  couldn’t create chances when presented

Hendon started the second half well and had their best opportunity of the game just two minutes in when North tipped Craig’s effort wide.

As the full time whistle approached the Stones rallied. The introduction of Joe White pushed Josh Walker out wide and the Fulham-loanee sparked into life, beating three Hendon players before smashing a shot into the side netting.

Tajbakhsh had another chance to score against one of his former club but Lovelock tipped his fierce strike over the bar.

Stones then had a penalty appeal of their own when Arthur Lee clattered Josh Walker in the box after a mazy run through on goal, but cries from the Wealdstone faithful fell on deaf ears and the full time whistle went shortly after.


0-0 – Sam Murphy shoots to North’s left but it’s an easy save for the keeper.
0-0 – David Hunt has his penalty saved to Lovelock’s right.
1-0 – Laste Dombaxe with a flamboyant run-up, shoots to North’s right. Keeper guesses right way but too well-struck into the bottom corner.
1-1 – Tajbakhsh smashes a penalty to Lovelock’s right with the keeper diving the wrong way.
1-1 – Ball hits a good penalty low to North’s right but it’s a fantastic save.
1-2 – Penalty of the evening. White places his penalty perfectly in the bottom left corner.
1-2 – Hammond then places his penalty to North’s left but not enough behind it, giving Ricky Wellard the chance to seal it.
1-3 – Wellard goes left, Lovelock goes the other way and it’s in and the Stones are in the final!

The Stones will play Hampton & Richmond Borough in the final on Saturday 6th May after they beat Hanworth Villa 2-1 in the other semi-final. Venue TBC.

WEALDSTONE: North, Oshodi, Mavila, Hunt, Parker (Hamblin 45), Tajbakhsh, Green (Brown 63), Cox, Wright (White 83), Wellard, Walker Subs not used: Godfrey, McGleish

By Chris Woods

Listen to Scott McGleish post reaction HERE
Alan Palmer pictures HERE